michele

Default recommendation for boat building books

I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I don't care about price. He already has George Beuhler's Guide to
Backyard Boat Building, so I can't buy him that. However, other
insightful suggestions would be great.

Thank you. - michele
steveJ

It probably depends on what types of boats he is interested in building.
The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction is a good book if he is
interested in using epoxy and wood to build with.
Boat Building by Howard Chapelle is a classic (though somewhat dated)
general boat building book that all boatbuilders should read.
If he likes very small boats like canoes, Tom Hill's book Ultralight
Boatbuilding describes an interesting approach.
The Nature of Boats by Gerr has lots of useful information too though it
is not really a boat building book as much as a general boat designing book.
Also Skene's Elements of Yacht Design has a lot of technical info.
Sensible Cruising Designs by L.F. Herreshoff is also a classic with many
drawings of beautiful boats in all sizes and shapes.
All should be available from Amazon (I think)

____m___~ΏΤ___m____

michele wrote:

I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I don't care about price. He already has George Beuhler's Guide to
Backyard Boat Building, so I can't buy him that. However, other
insightful suggestions would be great.

Thank you. - michele

Have you considered taking him to the site listed below and let him pick the
book he would most like, and then purchasing it for his birthday.

http://www.woodenboat.com/wbbksgal.htm

Maybe a subscription to "Woodenboat Magazine" as a surprise. I saved my old
copies of the magazine for years and have gone back to reread some at
times.
I'm not affiliated with the magazine, just a subscriber.
Happy Birthday to him, and many more.
--
__________m___~ΏΤ___m____________________________

Lew Hodgett

michele writes:
I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday.

snip

Most useful reference book I have is Fred Bingham's, "Practical Yacht
Joinery", about $20 in paperback.

Doesn't tell you how to build a boat, just how to make building a boat
easier.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

William R. Watt

If he likes plywood boats I'd suggest TF Jones. He puts a lot of theory
into the stories he writes about the small boats he builds and the people
he builds them for. He has been the main source of information and
inspiration for the small boats I've built for myself and the design ideas
I've played with. There is a website at www.jonesboats.com. The Ottawa
public library has copies which are freqently out on loan. One has been
"lost", ie stolen.

I also like Bingham, Chapelle, Hill, Moores, Skene, Herreshoff, and others
mentioned. I've seen them all at the public library.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Frank Hagan

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:45:52 -0400, michele
wrote:

I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I think Sam Devlin's "Devlin's Boat Building", ISBN 0-07-157990-7, is
a good one ... he has a great chapter on model making to test out hull
shapes for plywood boats, and shows several of his large stitch and
glue style boats.
- - -
http://www.messing-about.com
Resources for the Boat Builder, Renovator and Small Boat Skipper

Rob

Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

Dave Gerr - "Nature of Boats" - good for all sorts of things to think
about and consider.

Also Dave Gerr "Boat Strength" - simple maths systems for working out
the scantling sizes for any construction method.

Thinking of building your first boat? Backyard Renegade Boat Building 0 January 26th 04 04:56 PM
I'm building my first Trimaran... Zyana ~ Beu Ribe Boat Building 8 January 6th 04 02:40 AM
Two free books Gould 0738 General 1 November 14th 03 07:11 PM
Building Skin-on-Frame Boats Lefty Boat Building 12 September 10th 03 12:46 PM
Building Catamarans in Brazil Caribmon Boat Building 0 July 6th 03 02:04 PM