michele

Default recommendation for boat building books

Thanks to all who gave suggestions. Sorry I didn't reply earlier- I'm
still getting used to how to use Agent

- michele

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:31:00 GMT, steveJ wrote:

It probably depends on what types of boats he is interested in building.
The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction is a good book if he is
interested in using epoxy and wood to build with.
Boat Building by Howard Chapelle is a classic (though somewhat dated)
general boat building book that all boatbuilders should read.
If he likes very small boats like canoes, Tom Hill's book Ultralight
Boatbuilding describes an interesting approach.
The Nature of Boats by Gerr has lots of useful information too though it
is not really a boat building book as much as a general boat designing book.
Also Skene's Elements of Yacht Design has a lot of technical info.
Sensible Cruising Designs by L.F. Herreshoff is also a classic with many
drawings of beautiful boats in all sizes and shapes.
All should be available from Amazon (I think)

michele wrote:
I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I don't care about price. He already has George Beuhler's Guide to
Backyard Boat Building, so I can't buy him that. However, other
insightful suggestions would be great.

Thank you. - michele

michele

btw, would the majority of these books be available at Chapters?

-michele
Rick Tyler

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:45:52 -0400, michele
wrote:

I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I'm going to second a couple of other folks here and recommend "The
Nature of Boats" by Dave Gerr. It is not strictly about boat
building, but it is probably more fun to read than any other single
boat book I've read. I didn't know how much I needed this until I
bought a copy.

The other ideas are sound, too, but I would like to throw in another
vote for "Boats to Go" by Thomas Firth Jones.

If he's building wooden boats you could always get him something from
these: http://www.lie-nielsen.com/ folks. I'd bet he would like
anything from their catalog.

Good luck!

- Rick Tyler
--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian
Jim Conlin

The John Gardner books 'Wooden Boats to Build and Use', 'Classic Small Craft
you can build', 'The Dory Book' and others are excellent for small (more or
less) traditionally built boats.

For the glued lapstrake method, I highly recommend Iain Oughtred's 'Clinker
Plywood Boatbuilding Manual'. Tom Hill's 'Ultralight Boatbuilding' is a good
supplement.

For small strip composite canoes, Ted Moores' 'Canoecraft' is excellent,

For very simple (and very clever) plywood boats, the books by Phil Bolger and
Dymnamite Payson are good.

michele wrote:

I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I don't care about price. He already has George Beuhler's Guide to
Backyard Boat Building, so I can't buy him that. However, other
insightful suggestions would be great.

Thank you. - michele

grimly bubble

The books of Ferenc Mate

The finely fitted yacht
From a Bare Hull
Waterhouses

Are beautiful simple well written books full of excellent info on interir
and exterior fitout by two clever people who have sailed extensivly.

"michele" wrote in message
I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I don't care about price. He already has George Beuhler's Guide to
Backyard Boat Building, so I can't buy him that. However, other
insightful suggestions would be great.

Thank you. - michele

Gil G.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:45:41 +1200, "grimly bubble"
wrote:

The books of Ferenc Mate

http://georgebuehler.com/

Gil.
grimly bubble

Brilliant book is passage to Jerneau by Jonathan Rabin
"Gil G." wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:45:41 +1200, "grimly bubble"
wrote:

The books of Ferenc Mate

http://georgebuehler.com/

Gil.

Sam

Boatbuilding With Plywood and Fiberglass Boatbuilding For
Amateurs.Both books come from Glen-L Marine Designs.
Jim Conlin

More important as any of my shelves of boat books is Woodenboat Magazine.
Put a copy under his nose and see whether he likes it.

There are lots of others that have to do with sustems or particular building
materials or methods. What kind of boats are in mind? Dinghies? Yachts?

michele wrote:

I have a boyfriend who enjoys building boats very much, and I'm
interested in purchasing a nice boat building book for his upcoming
birthday. Can anybody suggest a book regarding boat building that he
would like?

I don't care about price. He already has George Beuhler's Guide to
Backyard Boat Building, so I can't buy him that. However, other
insightful suggestions would be great.

Thank you. - michele

Thinking of building your first boat? Backyard Renegade Boat Building 0 January 26th 04 04:56 PM
I'm building my first Trimaran... Zyana ~ Beu Ribe Boat Building 8 January 6th 04 02:40 AM
Two free books Gould 0738 General 1 November 14th 03 07:11 PM
Building Skin-on-Frame Boats Lefty Boat Building 12 September 10th 03 12:46 PM
Building Catamarans in Brazil Caribmon Boat Building 0 July 6th 03 02:04 PM