P.C.

Default lofting canoe tables in to plans

Hi

"steveJ" skrev i en meddelelse

If the boat is lofted to the outside of the planking, you will have to
loft the boat and subtract the planking to establish the sections. A lot
of work. That is what you buy when you purchase a design.

Well , ----- I could not resist that one , you se with most CAD programs
there are an offset function. This produce exactly paralell lines with the
exact distance -- or as you ask ,the exact plank thickness on outside the
section lines . Point out the section line and type in the offset distance
and what side of the original line ,and it's there.
P.C.

Junior Member

With all due respect, I'm not sure the OP is getting his question answered. I'm in the same "boat"...I have Moore's book, and I'm trying to figure out how to create the full-sized templates used to trace out the forms to build any one of his canoes or kayaks. (The Hiawatha is the canoe I want to build.)

Moore presents two tables, a table of heights and a table of half-breadths, with columns for each station and rows labeled "sheer" and "butt 2"", "butt 4"", etc., in the table of heights, and rows labeled "sheer" and "WL 2"", "WL 4"", etc. in the table of half-breadths.

To an experienced builder it's probably obvious what these terms mean and the process of transferring this data to a full-size grid sheet is probably straightforward. To me (and presumably to the OP) these tables are a little mystifying. I am guessing it would probably be simpler to just buy the $85 plans a skip this step...but if anyone can offer a step-by-step method for transferring the data supplied in the tables, to a sheet of paper using pins and a batten, it would be greatly appreciated! It would be helpful if the explanation defined the terms butt, profile, sheer, WL, and baseline as depicted in the drawings.

viking ship plans ripoff Boris Beizer Boat Building 4 January 1st 04 07:51 PM
viking ship plans ripoff Boris Beizer General 0 December 22nd 03 05:05 PM
Need books, articles, website to design a canoe (concrete) Pablo Boat Building 5 October 17th 03 12:33 AM
open canoe asdf Boat Building 8 September 6th 03 04:41 AM
Outrigger canoe plans David Walker Boat Building 0 July 21st 03 03:08 AM