Pablo

Default Need books, articles, website to design a canoe (concrete)

Hi,

I'm looking for books, articles or websites that refer to canoe design.
I'm a part of a group of students that will built a concrete canoe. More
precisely I would like to know if there is a formula that describes the
canoe theorical velocity given a canoe design (shape and rugosity of the
canoe) I have found a formula on a website which describe the theorical
velocity (W. Froude) of the canoe; V=2.26(L)^0.5 where V is the theorical
velocity (ft/s) and L (feets) the length of the canoe, but would like to
know in which type of books (fluide mechanics or hydraulics(names of the
books-chapters)) I would find the formula mentionned above and other
formulas that would help me understand what I need to consider when
designing a canoe. I have search in mechanical fluids and hydraulics but
have not been able to find such a formula, so I was wondering if I was
looking in the rigth type of books? If you can be of any help, pointing me
in the right direction I will really appreciate it. Thanks for your time and
help.

Pablo (remove213)

William R. Watt

if you have $1,000 you can buy a canoe hull design program which will give
you the optimum hull under your constraints, ie least resistance. there
used to be a spreadsheet type canoe hull analysis on John Winter's
website which may give you an advantage over your competition. try a
Google search on his name.

you can download a free DOS hull program from www.bluepeterdesign.com
which will give you waterline length, wetted surface, draft and some other
useful numbers if you give it a table of offsets for your hull. it does
not calculate hull resistance. count on spending half a day learning how
to use the program.

"Pablo" ) writes:
[...]

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

I forgot to mention Ted Moore's "Canoecraft" which has lines and tables of
offsets for 6 canoes. You can see in them the difference between canoes
desinged for speed and canoes desinged for carrying capacity and canoes
designed for rough water. Most books on canoeing describe the different
hull shapes and what they do best. I'd check the public library.

"Pablo" ) writes:
[...]

Brian D

Concrete canoe? I was hoping for bed sheets and coat hanger wire!
Seriously though, did anyone see the blue tarp and PVC pipe canoe that
someone made? Broke in two about 15' off the bank...

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"John" wrote in message