jsheesley

Default Lifting an outboard

How would you guys suggest lifting off an outboard? Is there some kind
of lift hook that attaches to the flywheel? Or do use straps or what?
The motor in question is a 88 Johnson 110 hp.
Ron White

Most larger outboards use a lifting eye that screws into some large female
threads in the center of the flywheel. The lifting eyes are available from
engine dealers and some are available as aftermarket items.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Joseph Stachyra

what you want to buy is called a "Lifting Ring" for the mercury they are
$35.00
for Johnson call your dealer
"jsheesley" wrote in message
om...
How would you guys suggest lifting off an outboard? Is there some kind
of lift hook that attaches to the flywheel? Or do use straps or what?
The motor in question is a 88 Johnson 110 hp.

Brian Whatcott

If you take the cover off you should see a lifting eye or two.
If not, you need to put them back on!

Brian W

On 23 Mar 2004 06:29:25 -0800, (jsheesley) wrote:

How would you guys suggest lifting off an outboard? Is there some kind
of lift hook that attaches to the flywheel? Or do use straps or what?
The motor in question is a 88 Johnson 110 hp.

RichG

Depending on what it is you are trying to do..you might not need to lift the
motor at all. If you are putting on a jackplate, or raising the engine a
hole or two..then the "block on the floor" & "adjust the trailer jack"
method may do ALL of the lifting that you need?????? If you need more info,
and are not trying to swing the entire engine out of the way or
something..let us know.

More details available if you need them.
--
RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

habbi

I had a 2000 150 evinrude and didn't have the proper ring but I noticed 2
"cast in" lifting eyes in the block. I made a small sling from 3/16" wire
cable and it worked fine. On another note my 225 evinrude (3 small 3/8"
bolts into the flywheel) uses a completely different lifting ring than the
150 (screws into the crankshaft in the flywheel).
om...