Max Camirand

Default odd request - wood species in French

Hi gang,

Bit of an unusual request, here. I've been reading about boatbuilding
and following this group regularily for a good many years, and am
finally getting ready to build my first boat.

The problem is that all these wood types I've learned about are in
English, and I only know about wood in Quebec French. I've tried using
English-French dictionaries, but they give me species names that I've
never heard before -- and I'm in the wood business! We don't use the
proper names, here in French Canada, so I need someone to point me to
a web page with the Quebecois names for common wood types like spruce,
fir, hemlock, etc.

Cheers!

-m
steveJ

Two I know are "pruce" (spelling probably not correct)in Quebecoise is
Spruce in english. But I believe both white spruce (Picea glauca) and
black spruce (Picea marlana)are called this.
The other is "erable" which is Hard Maple,also known as Rock Maple and
Sugar Maple...all the same..(Acer Saccharum)Not used too much in boats.
Mabey the Quebecois, just like the Yanks, use lots of different names
for the same tree. That's why I try to use the Latin scientific name
too. That is always the same in any language though I realize that most
people do not know the trees by these names. Please let me know if you
find a comprehensive list of Quebecois names. I would be interested in
checking it against what I hear in Vermont.
Oh yeah..Cedre is same as cedar but in Quebec it usually refers to
Northern White Cedar(Thuja occidentalis)rather than red or atlantic cedar.

Max Camirand wrote:
Hi gang,

Bit of an unusual request, here. I've been reading about boatbuilding
and following this group regularily for a good many years, and am
finally getting ready to build my first boat.

The problem is that all these wood types I've learned about are in
English, and I only know about wood in Quebec French. I've tried using
English-French dictionaries, but they give me species names that I've
never heard before -- and I'm in the wood business! We don't use the
proper names, here in French Canada, so I need someone to point me to
a web page with the Quebecois names for common wood types like spruce,
fir, hemlock, etc.

Cheers!

-m

Herbert McLeod

From l'Office québécois de la langue française
you will find le Grand dictionnaire terminologique very useful:
http://www.granddictionnaire.com/_fs_global_01.htm
Herb McLeod

"Max Camirand" a écrit dans le message de
Hi gang,

Bit of an unusual request, here. I've been reading about boatbuilding
and following this group regularily for a good many years, and am
finally getting ready to build my first boat.

The problem is that all these wood types I've learned about are in
English, and I only know about wood in Quebec French. I've tried using
English-French dictionaries, but they give me species names that I've
never heard before -- and I'm in the wood business! We don't use the
proper names, here in French Canada, so I need someone to point me to
a web page with the Quebecois names for common wood types like spruce,
fir, hemlock, etc.

Cheers!

-m

William R. Watt

I've never tried a www.google.ca search on French language terms but it
might work since I've got non-English websites in response to searches on
English terms. However, I'd look for a government of Quebec forestry
website and try asking the government for the info via email. I'd also try
the public library. I have copies fo government publications in English
such as "Native Trees of Canada" which might also be avialable in
Canadian French. I've also borrowed a couple of National Film Board
boatbuilding videos from the public library, skiffs and bark canoes, which
were filmed in Quebec and would be available with Canadian French narration.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Backyard Renegade

Max Camirand wrote in message . ..
Hi gang,

Bit of an unusual request, here. I've been reading about boatbuilding
and following this group regularily for a good many years, and am
finally getting ready to build my first boat.

The problem is that all these wood types I've learned about are in
English, and I only know about wood in Quebec French. I've tried using
English-French dictionaries, but they give me species names that I've
never heard before -- and I'm in the wood business! We don't use the
proper names, here in French Canada, so I need someone to point me to
a web page with the Quebecois names for common wood types like spruce,
fir, hemlock, etc.

Cheers!

-m

Spruce, fir, hemlock? What kind of boat are you building may I ask?
Max Camirand

On 1 Mar 2004 13:26:45 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

I've never tried a
www.google.ca search on French language terms but it
might work since I've got non-English websites in response to searches on
English terms. However, I'd look for a government of Quebec forestry
website and try asking the government for the info via email. I'd also try
the public library. I have copies fo government publications in English
such as "Native Trees of Canada" which might also be avialable in
Canadian French. I've also borrowed a couple of National Film Board
boatbuilding videos from the public library, skiffs and bark canoes, which
were filmed in Quebec and would be available with Canadian French narration.

Thanks Mr. Watt. I found that book, 'Native Trees of Canada' in
French. It's called 'Les arbres Indigènes du Canada'.

It has several appendice with the common Quebec name, proper French
name, Latin name, and English name of woods. Problem solved!

I appreciate all of the prompt responses!

-m
Max Camirand

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:40:54 -0500, "Pierre"
wrote:

You from Quebec,

you work in sawmill

I guess that makes you my new best friend..lol

Hello from ile perrot

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

I'm in the Petite Nation, near Gatineau. If you want to buy some wood,
you can be my best friend ;-)
If you're looking for something in particular, just email me at
maxcamirand at hotmail.com. I don't want to advertise on the
newsgroup!

-m

Wood rot in sheathed 1876 Smack Gerdjan Boat Building 9 November 12th 15 04:30 PM
OT--The French...again! NOYB General 8 December 29th 03 11:21 PM
Composite stringer grids Rich Stern General 55 November 23rd 03 02:24 AM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM
Lumber questions Russ B Boat Building 10 July 9th 03 12:29 PM