NOYB

Default OT--The French...again!

France warning tipped off terrorists, say U.S. officials

From combined dispatches
One or more terror suspects may have escaped due to a premature
disclosure in France of the security concerns behind the cancellation of
Christmas flights to Los Angeles, U.S. officials said yesterday.
One official said "a chorus of groans" from the Department of Homeland
Security to the White House went out when the French made clear at the time
the cancellations had been ordered for security reasons.
Washington believed that the longer publicity could have been avoided,
"the greater the chance to catch anybody else who was suspected of being
involved," he said. "The French announcement caught everyone off guard."
U.S. law enforcement and intelligence officials had hoped all the
suspects could be detained as they showed up for the flights, said a senior
U.S. official familiar with the situation who did not want to be identified.
Six flights between Paris and Los Angeles were canceled on Wednesday and
Thursday at the urging of Washington after U.S. officials spotted what they
believed were suspicious names on the manifests of three Los Angeles-bound
flights.
Nine persons on the passenger list for Air France Flight AF068 to Los
Angeles on Dec. 24 - the first flight grounded - were questioned and
released. One was French and the others were four Americans, two Germans, an
Algerian and a Belgian, a French Interior Ministry spokesman said.
A source close to French anti-terror investigating judges told Reuters
in Paris: "We have not detected passengers with the profile of people
belonging to a radical Islamic group. ... All the checks so far have come to
nothing."
U.S. concerns centered on passengers whose names matched those on a U.S.
terrorism watch list, but who failed to show up for the flights, officials
said.
Among them was a Tunisian passenger reported to be a licensed pilot and
suspected of having ties to al Qaeda, which orchestrated the September 11
hijacked airliner terror attacks on the United States.
The French news agency Agence France-Presse quoted a French
anti-terrorist police source as saying the Tunisian had been the focus of a
U.S. intelligence warning, but the man was still in Tunisia, not France, and
was not known to French police.
Another senior U.S. official said it was too early to say whether a
terror plot had been thwarted.
"It's still being looked at with this whole situation," the official
said. He said crew members were of concern to U.S. investigators along with
the no-show passengers.
U.S. investigators still want to speak with a small number of people in
Paris who failed to show up for flights to Los Angeles. U.S. officials have
not publicly discussed the issue of whether potential hijackers would be
likely to check in under names known to U.S. intelligence.
Air France resumed service to Los Angeles yesterday, though the initial
flight, AF068, was delayed for nearly three hours by security checks amid
heightened airline vigilance.
The flight cancellations added to Americans' unease during the holidays
after the Bush administration increased the national threat level to its
second-highest level, orange.
White House spokesman Scott McClellan said yesterday the government was
working to "make sure we are doing everything we can to protect the American
people and prevent possible attacks from happening in the first place."
Officials in Washington and Nevada disputed a published report yesterday
that the flight cancellations thwarted a possible terrorist plot to crash an
airliner in Las Vegas. Jerry Bussell, Nevada Gov. Kenny Guinn's adviser on
homeland security, said federal Homeland Security officials told him there
was no known threat to Las Vegas.
Meanwhile, U.S. counterterrorism officials were turning to possible
threats next week that might target large public gatherings, such as New
Year's Eve celebrations. One U.S. official said there was no specific
information such an attack was likely, but said such gatherings obviously
would be an attractive target for terrorists hoping to inflict large-scale
casualties.

Attached Images
File Type: gif clear.gif (49 Bytes, 69 views)
File Type: gif twt-grey2.gif (49 Bytes, 67 views)
Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

France warning tipped off terrorists, say U.S. officials

From combined dispatches
One or more terror suspects may have escaped due to a premature
disclosure in France of the security concerns behind the cancellation of
Christmas flights to Los Angeles, U.S. officials said yesterday.
One official said "a chorus of groans" from the Department of Homeland
Security to the White House went out when the French made clear at the time
the cancellations had been ordered for security reasons.

The Department of Homeland Security is an oxymoron.
Next...

--
Email sent to is never read.
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:54:47 +0000, NOYB wrote:

France warning tipped off terrorists, say U.S. officials

Yeah, how DARE they put the safety of the passengers ahead of potentially
catching the terrorists!

Lloyd

NOYB

That plane would never have taken off. We just hoped the 13 suspected
terrorists would show up and be apprehended.

BTW--please quit sending your Mad Cow's down here.

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:54:47 +0000, NOYB wrote:

France warning tipped off terrorists, say U.S. officials

Yeah, how DARE they put the safety of the passengers ahead of potentially
catching the terrorists!

Lloyd

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:24:15 +0000, NOYB wrote:

BTW--please quit sending your Mad Cow's down here.

Southpark had it right "Blame Canada!"

Lloyd

Curtis CCR

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:54:47 +0000, NOYB wrote:

France warning tipped off terrorists, say U.S. officials

Yeah, how DARE they put the safety of the passengers ahead of potentially
catching the terrorists!

Lets see. The flights were canceled so I guess that covers passenger
safety.

The groans apparently relate to the French not being able to keep
their traps shut about why the flights were canceled.
Harry Krause

Default Safety From Terrorists: OT: A Good Read for Hairball Harrywith His Support of Militant Islam

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:54:47 +0000, NOYB wrote:

France warning tipped off terrorists, say U.S. officials

Yeah, how DARE they put the safety of the passengers ahead of potentially
catching the terrorists!

Lets see. The flights were canceled so I guess that covers passenger
safety.

The groans apparently relate to the French not being able to keep
their traps shut about why the flights were canceled.

Haven't you figured it out yet?

The "War against terrorism" is a fraud. The Bush Administration is
posturing to make itself appear as if it really is fighting this "war,"
when, in fact, it is virtually clueless.

--
Email sent to is never read.
NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:54:47 +0000, NOYB wrote:

France warning tipped off terrorists, say U.S. officials

Yeah, how DARE they put the safety of the passengers ahead of

potentially
catching the terrorists!

Lets see. The flights were canceled so I guess that covers passenger
safety.

The groans apparently relate to the French not being able to keep
their traps shut about why the flights were canceled.

Haven't you figured it out yet?

The "War against terrorism" is a fraud.

OK, Petruchio, whatever you say.

Harry: Good Lord, how bright and goodly shines the lie!
NOYB: The lie! the truth: it is not a fraud
Harry: I say it is the lie that shines so bright.
NOYB: I know it is the truth that shines so bright.
Harry: Now, by my mother's son, and that's myself,
It shall be fraud, or truthfulness, or what I list,
Or ere I journey to your father's house.
Go one and fetch our horses back again.
Evermore cross'd and cross'd; nothing but cross'd!
Gould: Say as he says, or we shall never go.
NOYB: Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,
And be it fraud, or truth, or what you please.
An if you please to call it an exaggeration,
Henceforth I vow it shall be so for me.
Harry: I say it is a lie.
NOYB: I know it is a lie.
Harry: Nay, then you lie; it is the blessed truth.
NOYB: Then God be bless'd, it is the blessed truth:
But truth it is not when you say it is not,
And the fraud changes even as your mind.
What you will have it nam'd, even that it is;
And so, it shall be so for NOYB.
Gould: Harry, go thy ways; the field is won.
Harry: Well, forward, forward! thus the bowl should run,
And not unluckily against the bias.
But soft! what company is coming here?