Max Camirand

Default odd request - wood species in French

Thanks for the response, Steve.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:05:06 GMT, steveJ wrote:

Two I know are "pruce" (spelling probably not correct)in Quebecoise is
Spruce in english. But I believe both white spruce (Picea glauca) and
black spruce (Picea marlana)are called this.
The other is "erable" which is Hard Maple,also known as Rock Maple and
Sugar Maple...all the same..(Acer Saccharum)Not used too much in boats.
Mabey the Quebecois, just like the Yanks, use lots of different names
for the same tree. That's why I try to use the Latin scientific name
too. That is always the same in any language though I realize that most
people do not know the trees by these names. Please let me know if you
find a comprehensive list of Quebecois names. I would be interested in
checking it against what I hear in Vermont.
Oh yeah..Cedre is same as cedar but in Quebec it usually refers to
Northern White Cedar(Thuja occidentalis)rather than red or atlantic cedar.