Default Small, cheap diesel?

PhantMan wrote:
And why inboard???

lsumpter wrote:
THIS boat I want to go "pooketa-pooketa-pooketa"
http://www.oldengineshed.com/waves/listersl.wav
Understand the concept?

oh yeah! Neato! Sounds almost like something I saw at the Wooden Boat
Festival in Madisonville, LA (the guy has it there every year giving
rides to passers by on the bulkhead). His is a long narrow cypress
jon boat lookin' thing but it's powered by an antique miniature steam
engine. Sounds like your wave file though. Has a whirly centrifical
governor looking gizmo on top and shiny brass parts all over it
including valves and the flywheel. And it runs either direction for
forward or reverse.
Rick
Stephen Baker

Dave Flew says:

But he did say cheap ....

Cheap is a variable, as I have discovered. ;-)
My definition of cheap wouldn't allow for the westerbeke, to be sure, but for
some folks it's a drop in the bucket.
I work on the basis that if it's right for the job, it will somehow be
afforded.
Can't see the Westie making that "pocketa pocketa" sound much, though.....

Steve
surfnturf

Thanks Llloyd. The sound brightened a winter moning.

surfnturf

"
http://www.oldengineshed.com/waves/listersl.wav

Understand the concept?

Lloyd Sumpter

Ervin Charles

I got a 13hp Kubota off a portable lightplant on which the generator has
seized a bearing, bought the whole unit for $500. Made a small utility
trailer out of the trailer it sat on and the engine, radiator etc are all
one unit. Plan one putting it in a 28' Launch I'm gonna build one of these
days....
Check around heavy industrial areas. Construction companies use these a lot.
You might find one in their lay-down yard.
Charles E.

Old Nick

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:22:07 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

But THIS boat I want to go "pooketa-pooketa-pooketa" as I sit

Diesel engines smell.

"pooketa-pooketa-pooketa" ....hmmmmm.....Thurber anyone?
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Paul Winchester

The Changfa is a small diesel made in China.

Comes in 9hp and is german designed. One nice thing about it is that it has
a water cooled head.

Sells for around $600 in th e US.

http://www.utterpower.com/changfa.htm

Paul

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Any suggestions on where I might look for an old, cheap, 5-10hp diesel
suitable for an inboard engine? Maybe a tractor engine, or
"stationary"...? Any thoughts?

Lloyd

Jim Conlin

From my experience, the minimum price of a Westerbeke part is about ten bucks.

David Flew wrote:

But he did say cheap ....

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
Lloyd,
Westerbeke used to do the cutest little 7hp diesel. THey may still do it,

for
all I know.
Steve

William R. Watt

Jim Conlin ) writes:
From my experience, the minimum price of a Westerbeke part is about ten bucks.

do they make an engine with less than, say, 20 parts?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Gordon

search ebay for marine engines
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:50:50 +0000, PhantMa wrote:

lsumpter writes:
Any suggestions on where I might look for an old, cheap, 5-10hp diesel
suitable for an inboard engine?

ag384 wrote:
why diesel?

And why inboard???
One of the advantages of having a flat bottom is shallow draft. But an

inboard
defeats the advantage. How's about a nice little four cycle outboard?

Rick

I design and build my own boats because I want them to turn out the way I

WANT,
not the way "most people" want. True, for performance, reliability,

weight, etc.
an outboard would be better. In fact, I have one. Goes real nice, sounds

like:
"WAAAAAAAAAA!!!" But THIS boat I want to go "pooketa-pooketa-pooketa" as I

sit
behind the wood wheel and watch the scenery go by. I happen to like the

smell of
diesel over the smell of 2-stroke oil. I chose flat-bottom because it's

easy and
cheap, not for shallow draft. I still might put some Vee in it, I donno...

http://www.oldengineshed.com/waves/listersl.wav

Understand the concept?

Lloyd Sumpter

Peter Wiley

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message .. .

Hi,

Any suggestions on where I might look for an old, cheap, 5-10hp diesel

suitable for an inboard engine? Maybe a tractor engine, or

"stationary"...? Any thoughts?

Yanmar make new industrial engines, both air cooled & water cooled.
Nice units, run at ~1800 rpm. Gearbox might be a problem, I don't
know.

They used to make little air cooled marine diesels complete with F-N-R
box. I have one under my bench for exactly the reason you want one :-)
Was too good to pass up; all I need is more time to build the boat.

Peter Wiley

UK red diesel costs. Ken Baker General 0 May 25th 04 02:40 PM
OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
Small business in the US......... Bill Kiene General 4 October 23rd 03 03:22 PM