fraggy

Default Small, cheap diesel?

hi

how about a diesel cement mixer, just the job for what u want as long as
air-cooled is ok.

fragged

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Any suggestions on where I might look for an old, cheap, 5-10hp diesel
suitable for an inboard engine? Maybe a tractor engine, or
"stationary"...? Any thoughts?

Lloyd

alex

look for boatyard or marina auctions i pickid up an old ragtop with a
20hp. tranny,shaft all for 200.

William R. Watt

Jacques ) writes:

I think he wants a Lister or similar. I understand the feeling: I had a
Victor Coventry single cylinder, 9 HP at 900 rpm, idle at 150 rpm: you could
almost count the firing. Big monster flywheel, hand start, reliable.

the Lunenburg make-and-break was a one-lunger. pretty sure it was
gasoline. there may be some still around. too bad for LS they'd be found
on the east coast.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
dazed and confuzed

Jacques wrote:
ospam (Stephen Baker) wrote in message ...

Lloyd,
Westerbeke used to do the cutest little 7hp diesel. THey may still do it, for
all I know.
Steve

I think he wants a Lister or similar. I understand the feeling: I had a
Victor Coventry single cylinder, 9 HP at 900 rpm, idle at 150 rpm: you could
almost count the firing. Big monster flywheel, hand start, reliable.
I should never have sold it.
I am checking eBay regularly for old Listers but rarely see them.
I want one too just to build a boat around, love those engines.

Jacques
http://boatplans-online.com

Does it have to be diesel? I have a 5 hp hercules gas, throttle
governed, hopper cooled engine of early 1920's vintage. It weighs
about650 lbs, but it goes Chunka......chunka.....chunka.....at about
650-700 rpm.

--
"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

Fred Williams

Sounds like an old John Deere to me! I have a model "M" that sounds even
better than the WAV. Mine's gas but JD Made diesel two cylinders as well.
Coolest part is when you kill the engine it always gives a mighty BANG as
its last act of defiance. That great big flywheel just keeps on spinning.

Fred

"alex" wrote in message
look for boatyard or marina auctions i pickid up an old ragtop with a
20hp. tranny,shaft all for 200.

Brian Combs

you might try an old Easthope one lunger. like some of the others it will
burn gas, oil, diesel, castor oil, and i am not sure but i think it might
even burn water once started ;-)

they are a little hard to find these days but were great old engines

brian

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:37:06 +0000, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Any suggestions on where I might look for an old, cheap, 5-10hp diesel
suitable for an inboard engine? Maybe a tractor engine, or "stationary"...? Any
thoughts?

Lloyd

Thanks to all who replied! It's great to know others share my dreams of
designs based on feel and sound rather than performance.

But Reality has set in: Even if I use a Briggs&Stratton, I'll be fracturing many
laws here in Canada. I'd need a Hull Ident No, Conformity Plate (Conform? not
likely!), Capacity plate, and since it's an inboard, a fire extinguisher,
approved inboard fuel tank, explosion-proof electrics (Yeah - how do you
eliminate the spark on a B&S magneto?). Geez, the fees alone would cost me more
than the boat!

Ahhh....for those bygone days when the Gov't wasn't "taking care" of you...My
dad had a wooden boat (10ft?) with a 1 1/2hp Lawson (Kinda like a B&S), The
engine outlasted the boat, and neither one blew up, despite not having any HIN,
plates, or approvals.

But those old Listers (and the Indian clones, the Listeroids) sure look and
sound nice! (BTW, the sound bite was a 1-cyl 6hp Lister)

Lloyd - Off to build a 1 1/2 Sheet fishing pram...

Matt Colie

Hey Lloyd,

If you want it to sound just like that, you could always hide and
electric drive (like the gondolas at Venice-Las Vegas) and also hide an
MP3 player with an amp and a couple of huge speakers in the "engine box".

I just could not pass up the chance to be a smart-ass.
thanks
Matt Colie

UK red diesel costs. Ken Baker General 0 May 25th 04 02:40 PM
OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
Small business in the US......... Bill Kiene General 4 October 23rd 03 03:22 PM