Bill Kiene

Default Small business in the US.........

Hi All,

I have had my own small business in California for about 30 years. In the US
and particularly California, small businesses are threatened more now than
ever. Many are closing down because they just can't make things profitable
any more with constantly rising overheads like insurances, taxes and
benefits. Even is a good econmy things will be tough for small/medium size
businesses.

In the future in the US many will need to have a very small business with no
employees right out of their home so there is almost no overhead. The other
businesses will all have to be very large to compete by merging constantly.
Businesses will have to be extremely small and efficient or extremely large
and efficient to compete in today's world economy.

Most "mom & pop" stores like mine will never survive in today's market. I am
only still here in business because I have been in business for a long time
and have not debt service.

If you find a small business of any kind that really does a good job for
you, I would try to support and promote them as much as possible so they can
survive these times.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

NOYB

Bill,
Look into joining the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB).
They're a political lobbying group (ranked as the second most powerful
behind AARP) that pressures Congress to pass legislation to help small
business.

They also provide a "score card" which will rate how your elected officials
voted on issues directly affecting small business.

Here's the link to the "scorecard":
http://www.nfib.com/PDFs/votingrecords/HCV107.pdf

The following members of Congress voted *for* (at least 80% of the time)
legislation that NFIB members determined would help small business:
Doolittle, Ose, Hunter, Cunningham, Issa, Coa, Rohrabacher, Bono, Calvert,
Gary Miller, Jerry Lewis, Royce, Dreier, McKeon, Gallegly, B. Thomas,
Radanovich, Pombo, Horn, and Herger.

The following members of Congress in California voted *against* (at least
80% of the time) legislation that would have helped small businesses:
Matsui, Woolsey, George Miller, Nancy Pelosi (93% against!), Lantos, Stark,
Eshoo, Lofgren, Farr, Sherman, Berman, Waxman (92% against!), Becerra, Solis
(100% against!), Watson, Roybal-Allard, Napolitano, Maxine Waters,
Millender-McDonald, Baca, S. Davis, Filner.

Make sure to vote accordingly in 2004.

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

basskisser

"NOYB" wrote in message link.net...
Bill,
Look into joining the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB).
They're a political lobbying group (ranked as the second most powerful
behind AARP) that pressures Congress to pass legislation to help small
business.

That's odd. I thought you republicans were for SMALLER government????
NOYB

We are. Read up on most of the issues that NFIB's advocates. It usually
deals with repealing certain unreasonable *recently-enacted* OSHA and Labor
Law standards, cutting taxes, and simplifying the overall operations
expenses of a small business.

Here's a link so you can read for yourself:

www.nfib.com

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message

link.net...
Bill,
Look into joining the National Federation of Independent Business

(NFIB).
They're a political lobbying group (ranked as the second most powerful
behind AARP) that pressures Congress to pass legislation to help small
business.

That's odd. I thought you republicans were for SMALLER government????

basskisser

"NOYB" wrote in message link.net...
We are. Read up on most of the issues that NFIB's advocates. It usually
deals with repealing certain unreasonable *recently-enacted* OSHA and Labor
Law standards, cutting taxes, and simplifying the overall operations
expenses of a small business.

So, in a republican's way of thinking, special interest groups,
lobbying congress to pass additional laws, is making government less
intrusive, and less involved? All the NFIB is doing is trying to make
it easier for small business to be able to loosen up on OSHA
standards, etc. In my opinion, we need those labor laws. If not, we'd
all be working in terribly repressive conditions, like 10 year old
kids working in sweat shops for 15 hours a day. Again, like a good
goose stepping conservative, you want to put us back in the dark ages.
Black lung, cancer, limbs being cut off, all with no health care, no
recourse.

Help Me Guesstimate: Small Boats in N. America obo General 4 October 6th 03 06:47 AM
Porta Bote too small? Steve General 5 September 20th 03 08:02 AM
Restoring small aluminum boat Rural Knight General 0 August 11th 03 10:44 PM
Small Yamaha fresh water flush Don General 1 August 5th 03 07:04 PM