Chris

Default drawings/plans WW2-era needed

Just curious, I've been searching and searching the internet for days, and
while I can find plenty of photographs, I'm looking for some drawings and/or
plans for WW2-era boats, in particular the T2 Tanker, Victory Ship, and
Liberty Ship, for a project.

Can anyone tell me where I might find online technical resources with plans
or drawings?

Thanks very much.

Found some basic drawings, but too simplistic. Preferably line drawings or
construction detail, technical drawings, etc...

Steve

It might first help to get the terminology correct.. What you list are Ships
not Boats. Any Navy sailor worth his salt might take exception to the miss
use of these terms.

The last of the T2 tankers has been so modified (jumbo-ized) that she hardly
recognizable and is operated by MSC (Military Sea Lift Command) with
civilian crew.. I served on the Ashtabula as cargo officer and the last I
heard she was still with MSC..

The last of the Victory Ships and Liberty Ships are being scrapped over that
past half dozen years. Any that may be remaining on the Pac. coast will be
at Suson Bay (sp?) near Sacramento CA.

There are groups who have taken some of these ships and have been restoring
and preserving them as museums. One of the Victory Ships is on SF waterfront
and did a historic passage from the Pac to the Atlantic coast a couple years
ago with a volunteer crew. I think they were intending to attend the Normand
annversary events in France. Not sure how far they got. Anyway, these groups
may have information that may help you..

Another possible source would be a friend of mine who owns the company that
is purchasing these old ships and scrapping them out in China. His name is
Jimmy Chen and the company is ChenCo, head quartered in Puyallup WA. He has
a private museum and collection of nautical stuff from these ships. I'm sure
he has drawings or more correctly, Book of General Plans.

I know he has models of a lot of these ships.

I hope this helps.

Steve (CWO USN ret)

s/v Good Intentions

Rick

Chris wrote:

Just curious, I've been searching and searching the internet for days, and
while I can find plenty of photographs, I'm looking for some drawings and/or
plans for WW2-era boats, in particular the T2 Tanker, Victory Ship, and
Liberty Ship, for a project.

Look up the Lane Victory (Victory) in San Pedro and the Jeremiah O'Brien
(Liberty)in San Francisco. Someone in their respective organizations
should be able to help you.

I have some T2 propulsion materials and a bit of stuff on conversions
and stretches. What exactly are you looking for?

The J. Porter Shaw Library in San Francisco is an excellent resource. I
have had good luck dealing with them over the years. If nothing else
they can help you find who has what you need.

http://www.nps.gov/safr/local/lib/colldev.html

Good luck,

Rick

Jim Woodward

Places to start searching --
http://www.hazegray.org/ a private site, but has an amazing amount of
information on navies around the world and many links.

The modeling world is probably your best bet for links to detailed drawings.
Try these:
http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com/
http://scalemodel.net/

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Chris" wrote in message
. ..
Just curious, I've been searching and searching the internet for days, and
while I can find plenty of photographs, I'm looking for some drawings

and/or
plans for WW2-era boats, in particular the T2 Tanker, Victory Ship, and
Liberty Ship, for a project.

Can anyone tell me where I might find online technical resources with

plans
or drawings?

Thanks very much.

Found some basic drawings, but too simplistic. Preferably line drawings

or
construction detail, technical drawings, etc...

Glenn Ashmore

The U.S. National Archives Cartographic Archives has most existing
plans for US Navy ships from 1776 to 1949. The Smithsonian also sells
plans for many naval vessels with more emphasis on ships up to 1917 but
many of the more well known hulls up to 1949. Prices range from $5 to $75.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

terry

Try out a search for Virtual Marine Arsenal

http://7seas.cjb.net

James W. Sloan

Chris,

I live near Brunswick, GA where many of the Liberty Ships were built, and a
couple torpedoed off the coast! Recently, we had a restored/preserved
Liberty Ship come back to town for a tour. While on the ship, I noted that
they had what looked like a full set of plans for her.

Check out www.liberty-ship.com for more info. The name of the ship is SS
John W. Brown and she's still on a traveling tour schedule.

James

Glenn Ashmore

What ever happened to that cut away model of a Liberty Ship that sat
outside the Chamber of Commerce at the causeway entrance for years? I
was afraid it was going to rust away. Sure hope someone had the good
sence to preserve it.

James W. Sloan wrote:

Chris,

I live near Brunswick, GA where many of the Liberty Ships were built, and a
couple torpedoed off the coast! Recently, we had a restored/preserved
Liberty Ship come back to town for a tour. While on the ship, I noted that
they had what looked like a full set of plans for her.

Check out www.liberty-ship.com for more info. The name of the ship is SS
John W. Brown and she's still on a traveling tour schedule.

James

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

General tips needed for first timers news General 5 June 4th 04 06:39 PM
Newbee advice needed Misiora General 5 March 31st 04 06:30 AM
Scientists needed for TV series Kris Scheppe General 0 January 23rd 04 05:09 PM
good internet sources of "electrical" components needed............... Courtney Thomas Boat Building 0 August 27th 03 06:24 PM
Volunteers Needed To Locate Radio Pirate, Tampa Bay Area Boating Safety Comm Volunteers General 14 August 22nd 03 01:43 AM