Marco

Default What after you're a naval architect?

Hallo!
I graduated in Naval Architecture and I'm working with ships, but my passion
for sailboats is always alive...
If I wanted to get some sort of degree in yacht design what should I head
to? Are there any master degrees? Or should I better get experience with my
degree?
Here in Europe I just heard of one master, but it looks to be tailored for
designers and architects who want to learn about boats, not for marine
engineers who want to learn what's different between a ship and a yacht...
I'm waiting for a good idea!!!!
Bye!
Marco

Jacques Mertens

Apply for a job with a yacht designer or yacht manufacturer.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Marco" wrote in message
Hallo!
I graduated in Naval Architecture and I'm working with ships, but my

passion
for sailboats is always alive...
If I wanted to get some sort of degree in yacht design what should I head
to? Are there any master degrees? Or should I better get experience with

my
degree?
Here in Europe I just heard of one master, but it looks to be tailored for
designers and architects who want to learn about boats, not for marine
engineers who want to learn what's different between a ship and a yacht...
I'm waiting for a good idea!!!!
Bye!
Marco

Steve

This is a good suggestion. I was going to suggest applying for an
internship, but it may be possible to continue in your present profession
while working for a yacht design firm or manufacturer on the side.

Good luck. We can always use another good yacht designer who has not only a
formal education but more important, the passion.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Glenn Ashmore

I think the ideal carreer path would be to get a job in engeneering and
production management with a builder for a few years to get an idea what
works and what dosn't on the plant floor and then look for a position
with a design shop to gain the design and business skills. All the time
keep the very best relationships with the customers. You will need them
if you eventually go out on your own.

Marco wrote:
Hallo!
I graduated in Naval Architecture and I'm working with ships, but my passion
for sailboats is always alive...
If I wanted to get some sort of degree in yacht design what should I head
to? Are there any master degrees? Or should I better get experience with my
degree?
Here in Europe I just heard of one master, but it looks to be tailored for
designers and architects who want to learn about boats, not for marine
engineers who want to learn what's different between a ship and a yacht...
I'm waiting for a good idea!!!!
Bye!
Marco

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Steve

Good recommendation Glenn. I always lacked the formal education in naval
arch. to land those type of jobs.

I worked in production management for a major shipyard that also owned a
boatyard (some boat building). My experience and education in manufacturing
engineering was good enough for major ship repair but I could never get my
foot in the door at the boatyard.

If Marco really has the passion, he should move toward his objectives early
in his career since that industry tends towards the "youthful" with new
ideas and/or an understanding of the current market..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Brian D

I like the remark about good relationships with customers ...it applies to
customers, co-workers, bosses, people at other companies. Don't forget
Jimmy Durant's famous quote, "Watch out who you step on as you climb to the
top, you'll meet them all again on the way back down."

Brian

Marco wrote:
[...]

Evan Gatehouse

"Marco" wrote in message
Hallo!
I graduated in Naval Architecture and I'm working with ships, but my

passion
for sailboats is always alive...

If I wanted to get some sort of degree in yacht design what should I head
to? Are there any master degrees? Or should I better get experience with

my
degree?

Either will work - University of Southhampton has a good reputation for
their program in small craft design. There are a lot of yacht designers
working in Italy and Spain (lots of IMS boats built there). Find a copy of
Seahorse magazine - naval architects advertise there.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Marco

I tried to investigate Southhampton but found out only a bachelor degree:
something which probably I'd find pretty boring!!! (I mean, assumed that
they're teaching standard naval architecture and basic craft designing)

I'd like to find something aimed at teaching a naval architect everything
different from a ship and everything peculiar for a sailboat!!!!!

Any hints?

Marco

"Evan Gatehouse" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Marco" wrote in message
[...]

Marco

Yes!

ASA I find the way to get out of my job gloriously I want to try a parallel
activity in yacht design...

What glory will be best ?!?

What I find I'm missing is sailboat design culture, and I probably need to
find an expert designer to work with and to suck xperience from!

Ciao

Marco

"Steve" ha scritto nel messaggio
This is a good suggestion. I was going to suggest applying for an
internship, but it may be possible to continue in your present profession
while working for a yacht design firm or manufacturer on the side.

Good luck. We can always use another good yacht designer who has not only

formal education but more important, the passion.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Stephen Baker

Marco says:

I'd like to find something aimed at teaching a naval architect everything
different from a ship and everything peculiar for a sailboat!!!!!

Any hints?

Try the Southampton Institute, not University, and lok for the Yacht and Boat
design course. That should keep you busy. ;-)

http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/cour...name=&coursety
pe=Undergraduate&fulltime=&parttime=&yearofentry=1 4&interest=Yachting

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm