Vito

Default WORMS!!!

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

..... Hopefully the ISPs will wake up
some day this week and realize what is happening.
--

I advocate a 3¢ tax on every email sent, with 2¢ to the ISP for
collecting it and the rest to improve sailboat anchorages. It wouldn't
P.C. Ford

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:47:57 -0400, Vito wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

..... Hopefully the ISPs will wake up
some day this week and realize what is happening.
--

I advocate a 3¢ tax on every email sent, with 2¢ to the ISP for
collecting it and the rest to improve sailboat anchorages. It wouldn't
cost any of us enough to matter but it'd put the million spam/day
companies out of business fast.

Good idea. Except I would make the proceeds to subsidize homely
semi-retired boatwrights.

The thing I did not understand is where the money comes from for the
spammers. In other words, do people actually bite on spam?

A possible answer was provided using the illustration of the mortgage
or insurance spam you have probably received. The spammer sends out a
million spams a day---a tiny, tiny percentage reply, thus confirming
they want more information on insurances or mortgage rates. These hot
leads are then sold to insurance or mortgage companies for $20 a
piece.

Several of these a day and it's a living. Never mind that you had to
pollute the 'net with a million unanswered spams. That's someone
else's problem.

I've been around for a while; long enough to have seen the original
Cantor and Spiegel "green card lottery" newsgroup spam. People used to
say just ignore them; you can't any more. It takes work to wade
through them. Unfortunately, I don't think it will slow down until
there are laws in place to send these jerks up the river for 30 years.

And why not? Someone that steals a car can go to jail for a
significant time. Someone that releases viruses is causing thousands,
millions of times more damage.

Just because these guys are typically young middle class white boys
with bad haircuts should not exempt them from paying a price.

Old Nick

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:10:14 GMT, "James Balsley"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

how does one change the reply e-mail address?

In OE6, which you appear to use, edit the account.
************************************************** ****************************************
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
William R. Watt

I assumed from the title this thread was about wood worms in boats so I
haven't been reading it.

People here at the FreeNet community network filtre their mail.
They've found that rejecting messages over 600 lines kept all the
latest worm mail from getting into their mailboxes.

My personal filtering strategy is to specify the mail I want to admit
instead of trying to specify all the mail I want to exclude. Much simpler.
I wrote up the strategy for my webpage. Its in file
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/elmSpamFiltre.txt. "ELM' is an old UNIX mail program
which has a built in filtre. There are lots of newer mail programs and mail
filtre programs but you don't really need them. All you need is a superior
strategy and no mail program can give you that. They're all just software
tools which allow you to implement your own filtering strategy.

Also note the warning in my signature file below.

Happy mail filtering.

I prefer to spend my time thinking about boatbuilding instead fo deleting
spam. Currently playing with the design of a 15 ft solo cruiser.
One of those "try to fit it all into a small space and budget" boats.
This one's bigger than a one sheeter. Expanding my horizons.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
P.C. Ford

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:16:02 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On 24 Sep 2003 19:17:18 -0400, Dave Cannell
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

Lobby your ISP to provide an email spam stopper.

As I understand it, ISP-side spam/virus filters are a mixed blessing.
They can strain out real mail as well. However, it seems to me that
with this virus, the attachment is probably the same size most of the
time, that and other criteria should make it fairly easy to nuke these
jerks work.

I think the best thing to do is just string 'em up.

Old Nick

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:20:53 -0700, P.C. Ford
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I tried mine for a while, dumping to a separate folder. After a few
weeks of getting no false dumpings, I simply delete from server. I
figure if anything important gets dumped, like lost letters in the
mail, it can be sorted, and in any case, the sender may learn to alter
their methods.

As I understand it, ISP-side spam/virus filters are a mixed blessing.
They can strain out real mail as well. However, it seems to me that
with this virus, the attachment is probably the same size most of the
time, that and other criteria should make it fairly easy to nuke these
jerks work.

I think the best thing to do is just string 'em up.

By WOT?!! G
************************************************** ****************************************
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
William R. Watt

Old Nick ) writes:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:20:53 -0700, P.C. Ford
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

I tried mine for a while, dumping to a separate folder. After a few
weeks of getting no false dumpings, I simply delete from server. I

that can clog up the server. its a problem here at the FreeNet. better to
delete when filtered out instead of waiting.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm