Michael Schirmer Nielsen

Default engine

I have a valve that is stock , can i losen it easely
its a mercruiser 120hp from 1978

thanks

Dazed and Confuzed

Michael Schirmer Nielsen wrote:

I have a valve that is stock , can i losen it easely
its a mercruiser 120hp from 1978

thanks

stuck open or stuck closed?

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

William R. Watt

There is a chemical you add to the oil, idle the engine for a few minutes,
then change the oil and filtre. I used it to remove carbon build up on one
of the valves in my car. I measured the cylinder compression before and
after the chemical treatment and it evened out the compression on all 4
cylinders. I bought the chemical at Canadian Tire, a discount auto chain
store.

There is another chemical you add to the fuel but it had no effect on the
gummed valve on my car.

A good source of information on engine problems is the rec.autos.tech
newsgroup.

Dazed and Confuzed ) writes:
Michael Schirmer Nielsen wrote:

I have a valve that is stock , can i losen it easely
its a mercruiser 120hp from 1978

thanks

stuck open or stuck closed?

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian

Hello,
How do you know that you've got a stuck valve? I work as a marine
mechanic and am pretty familiar with merc 120's...they are notourious
for blowing the head gasket between the cyls. many times what you'll
find are bent valves...causing them to stay open. have you run a
cylinder compression test on all cylinders yet? if not you better
start their first. what you will most likely find is that 2 adjacent
cylinders have maybe 30lbs or so compression....and the gasket
between them will be gone...another one of MR GoodWrench's
finer ideas...Rubber Headbolts... *Laughing like a loonie ) *
Brian K

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 00:20:03 +0200, "Michael Schirmer Nielsen"
wrote:

I have a valve that is stock , can i losen it easely
its a mercruiser 120hp from 1978

thanks

David Ward

"JAXAshby" wrote in message ...
: I've never seen a valve stick closed.
:

Had one the other day on a Lycoming 540 (aircraft engine, flat 6) - was
easy to find. The pushrod tube had a hole worn through where the bent
pushrod had rubbed and oil was everywhere. The tube also had a
wicked curve to it.

Yeah, yeah... off topic. But hey, I didn't have a boat story that fit!

Dave

Dazed and Confuzed

JAXAshby wrote:

I've never seen a valve stick closed.

stuck open
"Dazed and Confuzed" skrev i en meddelelse
Michael Schirmer Nielsen wrote:

I have a valve that is stock , can i losen it easely
its a mercruiser 120hp from 1978

thanks

stuck open or stuck closed?

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

I have. easier in fact to get moving than one stuck open.

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

JAXAshby

[shaking head]

Dazed and Confuzed writes

..

Dazed and Confuzed

JAXAshby wrote:

I've never seen a valve stick closed.

stuck open
"Dazed and Confuzed" skrev i en meddelelse
Michael Schirmer Nielsen wrote:

I have a valve that is stock , can i losen it easely
its a mercruiser 120hp from 1978

thanks

stuck open or stuck closed?

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

I have. easier in fact to get moving than one stuck open.

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

and if the motor stops with that valve in the open position and there is any
moisture from condensation or gasket leaks, do you think that the valve closes
and then rusts? If you then turn the motor over, the valve spring may not be
able to break the rust and close the valve. It happens.

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

P.C.

Hi

"JAXAshby" skrev i en meddelelse
dude, have you **ANY** idea what a camshaft does for a living?

--------- What you mean is, that if the valve can't be pushed open, the valve
rod will bend ? Or whatever pushes the valve will get stuck or break.

P.C.