carlp

Default HULL

Been studying hulls by Carlson, so called free one,
so if you have not been foolish enough to download this load of crap please
do not bother, hate Indian givers, it is totally US. prints sends you into a
paper wasting expedition you cannot control, set up like this on purpose
folks, please check and double check numbers positions of frames, bulkheads,
unless your careful you could lose more than a bit of time wasting, my
advice avoid like the plague.
Most of these freebies have limiting factors built in rendering them US.
but they tell you, this ******* promises all and actually tries to make
fools of us, give the man a one hand clap.

Al

You get what you pay for I guess.

May I suggest a little more time learning to use a powerful tool and a
little less time whining?

Al

carlp

You get what you pay for I guess.

May I suggest a little more time learning to use a powerful tool and a
little less time whining?

Al
//////////
You obviously fail to grasp what I wrote, the freebie was purposely
corrupted, others stop down usage but others atleast inform that they have
limited use, not Hulls, they corrupt the printing causing useless piles of
paper to be wasted out of anyone's control it takes over the print program
which cannot even be aborted, only by removing the paper from paper tray and
shutting down, the information is a total waste of time this is incorrect
frames and bulkhead information purposely distorted, why offer it at all,
this is nothing less than fraud information that is purposely corrupted is
the action of a mad man.

P.C.

Hi

"carlp" skrev i en meddelelse
You get what you pay for I guess.

I don't buy that, concerning boat plans.

May I suggest a little more time learning to use a powerful tool and a
little less time whining?

Eh, if this is becaurse the files are compiled wrong, I find the forum shuld
discuss this, no reson not to warn if this is so.

Al
//////////
You obviously fail to grasp what I wrote, the freebie was purposely
corrupted, others stop down usage but others atleast inform that they have
limited use, not Hulls, they corrupt the printing causing useless piles of
paper to be wasted out of anyone's control it takes over the print program
which cannot even be aborted, only by removing the paper from paper tray and
shutting down, the information is a total waste of time this is incorrect
frames and bulkhead information purposely distorted, why offer it at all,
this is nothing less than fraud information that is purposely corrupted is
the action of a mad man.

Now I don't know Carson's plans, but I know I was very carefull not to upload
plot files , when I handed the Cyber-Boat designs on to free download ;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cyber-Boat/
these are the AutoCAD drawings proberly more compact than any graphic format,
and at the same time full documentation, while the "plan" is the actural CAD
drawing , beside with a few, Cyber-Boat even offer not just the unfolded panels
,frames and building jig, but the original 3D drawing , sort of virtual
boatyard.
Anyway I thought like this, that when everything anyway is free-download, why
not offer a happy builder, the 3D model in AutoCAD format.
That printer/plotters can run out of control, when feeded with a Plot file is
nothing new, but this never happen, when plotting directly from an AutoCAD
drawing, beside this give you the option, to check out the design, free or not,
in 3D before you build.
Another reson is, that anyone downloading could just scale equaly xyz and build
the Hull the scale asked.
P.C.

Andrew

FrenchPhil wrote in
:

I have built several models from that software. It is not
perfect but it has saved me alot of time. I agree the printing
is weird but it is usually not needed.
And best of all its free.

carlp wrote:
You get what you pay for I guess.

May I suggest a little more time learning to use a powerful tool and
a little less time whining?

Al
//////////
You obviously fail to grasp what I wrote, the freebie was purposely
corrupted, others stop down usage but others atleast inform that they
have limited use, not Hulls, they corrupt the printing causing
useless piles of paper to be wasted out of anyone's control it takes
over the print program which cannot even be aborted, only by removing
the paper from paper tray and shutting down, the information is a
total waste of time this is incorrect frames and bulkhead information
purposely distorted, why offer it at all, this is nothing less than
fraud information that is purposely corrupted is the action of a mad
man.

I agree, I've built one small boat with Carlson Design Hull Designer
software and can offer the following;

It's free, so expect what you pay for, like all software it takes a bit of
effort in learning and setting up.
http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/hullstut.htm helped me a lot.

It's end product is (often) better than most could do otherwise in a
reasonable period.

I've not found any functional error using the software.

Printing; I've had no problems with the printing once I set up the printer
correctly and learnt how to specify what I wanted printed, it's not all
done for you. If you incorrectly specify what you want printed it is easy
to get piles of dxf file listing or ASCII file of offsets when you might
expect a plan form.

The progam gives a Print to File option, Nesting option, DXF export and
Offsets listing. given hat and having used it for a while it is unlikely
I'd ever want to print a plan form directly from the program. More likely
is to export to dxf to finish it up in CAD, print nested parts or print
offsets. All that seems to work fine once you spend the time to figure out
how to use the software.

Ed Edelenbos

Is this thread about the program called "hulls"? I don't get it? I've
been using it for several weeks and had no problems. I've been working
out displacement and waterlines at given loads and it works like a
charm. It is also excellent for working out shapes (i.e. seeing what
will or won't look "boatlike" to my eye.) I've only printed a couple
pages through it and it has worked fine.

I'm not using it for "nesting"... (is that the term for working out
cuts?) I have easier (or at least more fun and satisfying) ways to do
that. But, the couple pages I have printed have come out like I expected.

Sounds like operator error to me...

Ed

malcolm wrote:
depends how good and accurate your printer is too,
and if printing out on 8x11 or A4 then a lot of blank pages between the
lines prob too.
regards malcolm

"carlp" wrote in message

Been studying hulls by Carlson, so called free one,
so if you have not been foolish enough to download this load of crap

please

do not bother, hate Indian givers, it is totally US. prints sends you into

paper wasting expedition you cannot control, set up like this on purpose
folks, please check and double check numbers positions of frames,

bulkheads,

unless your careful you could lose more than a bit of time wasting, my
advice avoid like the plague.
Most of these freebies have limiting factors built in rendering them US.
but they tell you, this ******* promises all and actually tries to make
fools of us, give the man a one hand clap.

William R. Watt

"Fred Williams" ) writes:

... I see
absolutly no reference to or promice of metric measurment.

the free program from www.bluepeterdesign.com will compute in metric or
British measurements. its an old program which runs in DOS mode and can
be used for any shape of hull, not just hard chine like the Carson program.
it too takes some getting used to.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Backyard Renegade

"carlp" wrote in message ...
You get what you pay for I guess.

May I suggest a little more time learning to use a powerful tool and a
little less time whining?

Al
//////////
You obviously fail to grasp what I wrote, the freebie was purposely
corrupted, others stop down usage but others atleast inform that they have
limited use, not Hulls, they corrupt the printing causing useless piles of
paper to be wasted out of anyone's control it takes over the print program
which cannot even be aborted, only by removing the paper from paper tray and
shutting down, the information is a total waste of time this is incorrect
frames and bulkhead information purposely distorted, why offer it at all,
this is nothing less than fraud information that is purposely corrupted is
the action of a mad man.

Your rant only shows that you were to lazy to learn the software...
While you are moaning and crying, do a google search on slander
lawsuits too!
Ed Edelenbos

Agreed... I always figure the absolute max. _working_ load is 40% of
the max displacement weight (i.e. weight to sink). Plus, I round up
when estimating the weight of materials. My working load (calculated)
is the ("weight to 0" waterline"-weight of materials)*.40. I'd do this
on a program that claimed 100% accuracy.

The gist of what I'm getting to is that I've found the hulls software
easy to use and accurate enough for planning. For what I paid, I'm
getting a real bargain. Admittedly, I'm still learning my way around
all of this and there is "empirical" data to collect but I've entered a
couple existing boat dimensions (just to get the feel of the program)
and the numbers are coming up in a predictable way.

Ed

William R. Watt wrote:
Ed Edelenbos ) writes:

... I've been working
out displacement and waterlines at given loads and it works like a
charm.

Carlson admits to some inaccuracy there. I'd allow a 10% margin of error
based on comparisons I've done with the free hull design program from Blue
Peter and with a program I wrote for flat bottom skiffs.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm