Shirley Tremblay

Default Hull Construction

We have recently been advised to only consider used boats after 1989 or
thereabouts...apparently due to changes in hull construction techniques.
However, we have seen a 24' 1987 Doral in which we are quite interested.

How significant is this hull construction issue?

If a hull has had anti-fouling material applied, is it still possible to
assess the condition of the hull?

Gould 0738

We have recently been advised to only consider used boats after 1989 or
thereabouts...apparently due to changes in hull construction techniques.
However, we have seen a 24' 1987 Doral in which we are quite interested.

How significant is this hull construction issue?

If a hull has had anti-fouling material applied, is it still possible to
assess the condition of the hull?

There's nothing magical about the year 1989. Many very fine hulls are still
laid today, and many fine hulls were laid 20 or 30 or even more years ago. Some
of the older hulls were better built than some of the latest models.

In the entire history of boatbuilding there really has never been a year when
all boat builders simultaneously adopted a new technique or material, and that
would certainly include 1989.

As far as the antifouling goes: Of course you can assess the condition of a
hull
if there is antifouling paint. A surveyor considers far more than the surface
appearance, or even the presence of most types of blisters which are (in most
cases)
a cosmetic issue only.

Have a surveyor tap out that '87 Doeal you're interested in. If there aren't
problems with rotten stringers or transom cores, if there isn't any
delamination, and there isn't some kind of soggy coring material don't worry
much about the 1987 vs. 1989 designation.