Brian Whatcott

Default 1993 Bayliner 1954CW

2 pounds of urethane foam expands to a cubic foot, which can support
55 pounds weight.

50 pounds of foam of this kind would support 25 X 55 pounds of boat
that;'s 1355 lbs - that's somewhere near a Bayliner 19' weight, I
expect. Epoxy would be an excellent choice for sticking the boat
together.
I am not specially impressed by a bigname boat rotting out in ten
years. Anyone heard of treated wood?
I'll leave the choice of glass to others.

Brian W Altus OK

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:51:11 GMT, "Phil" wrote:

I'm new here and to boat renovation.
Here's my problem:
My Father in Law gave me a 1993 Bayliner 19' model 1954CW with only 51 hours
on the motor.
The deck and wood has rotted out and needs to be replaced.
I have removed all wood and decking.
I'm now ready to replace and resin the deck and other wood areas.
What is the best resin to use?
I have been told that Epoxy can not be used because it will not adhere well
to the poly the hull is made of.
Also what type of cloth should be used for the deck and other areas.
Any help would be great.
This has been a very fun project so far.
The only problem I've run into has been dealers and suppliers that wont give
you an honest answer or price.
All so far have gone for the "over sale" on materials with a lot of waste on
materials.
One local company attempted to convince me I would need 50lbs of flotation
foam,,,,,right!
I don't know how much foam I will need but I don't think it will be 50lbs.
If any knows a formula for figuring this please give it to me.

Phil
Jax,Fl.

Phil

Thanks Brian,,,,so I can use epoxy over the poly?
So you think 50 lbs of foam is what I will need?
Actual weight of the boat is 2035lbs.
The only foam in the boat was around the bilge area and under the lounge
seats,,all saturated with water
Very low quality craftsmanship in a Bayliner it appears.
Every thing is made from 3/8 inch construction grade plywood and 1x2
streamers and 2x4 ridge beams covered with ply and chopped cloth.
None of the wood is marine grade or treated.

Phil
Jax.,Fl

Ervin Charles

Phil,
Epoxy is the right stuff and will stick to damn near anything and
everything. If you are worried about adhesion to the inside of your hull,
rough up the area with 36 grit sand paper and then wipe it down with
Acetone. The epoxy will stick, I guarantee. I use West System epoxy with a
slow hardener, number 206 I think it is. I'm sure that most other brands
would be just fine but I have had great luck with West System as it seems to
be very forgiving if I over or under mix the two parts. If you are going to
cover the deck with fiberglass then a 6 oz cloth should do the trick. Double
it up in high traffic areas.
My 2 cents worth.
Charles

Phil

Does any one know of or had any experience with Mertons Fiberglass.
www.mertons.com/catalog/index.html
This company was been recommended and the prices appear fair.

Phil

Larry

I am not specially impressed by a bigname boat rotting out in ten
years.

Bayliner is like that- they just "slap it together" and get them out the
door. The resale of a Bayliner is only one half to one third of a Glasply or
Reinell, or almost any other boat.

Calling Bayliner a "big name" is an unworthy compliment. Mass-produced,
there is little in the way of quality.

Larry

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
[...]

Phil

I would like to Thank each of you for your help and input.
All the information I received by e-mail from the group has been very
helpful.
I can't believe so many of you e-mailed me personally with ideas and
help,,all of which has been very useful.
I feel confident that I can complete this "project" successfully.
Once again Thank You All.

Phil
Jax.FL

Bayliner 185 [email protected] General 14 June 19th 04 10:20 PM
First boat choices - Glastron or Bayliner or ? ccg General 1 June 7th 04 04:17 AM
BAYLINER BASHERS.. Maxx1676 General 75 June 5th 04 12:37 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM