pete

Default plumbing in heads and seacocks

Hi all, got a little question: I'm fitting a toilet into my boat and I
am finding places to fit the inlet and outlet seacocks difficult.
The best position is with the outlet below the inlet and about 18
inches apart, but should the outlet be above the inlet to help prevent
sucking back in what you have pumped out? The fitting diagram shows
that but there is no mention of it.

Is there a normal spacing apart of these seacocks?

Help really appreceated;

Pete
Peggie Hall

pete wrote:

Hi all, got a little question: I'm fitting a toilet into my boat and I
am finding places to fit the inlet and outlet seacocks difficult.
The best position is with the outlet below the inlet and about 18
inches apart, but should the outlet be above the inlet to help prevent
sucking back in what you have pumped out? The fitting diagram shows
that but there is no mention of it.

18" is a bit close...and yes, the inlet seacock should be a bit higher
than the discharge seacock. But it's not on a lot of production
boats...and as long as the discharge is aft of the inlet, it shouldn't
give you any problems...'cuz you shouldn't be flushing directly
overboard when you're anchored at all. That's illegal in ALL U.S.
inland and coastal waters. You must be in open sea at least 3 miles from
the nearest point on the whole US coastline to flush directly overboard
or dump a tank. And they're also starting to get very sticky about where
you can flush directly overboard in the UK, Europe and "down under" too.

So maybe we should talking about where to put the tank and how it plumb
it instead of worrying about the relative locations of the thru-hulls.

--
Peggie
----------
Roger Derby

I'm not sure of the "proper" spacing (more is better), but the nasty stuff
often floats, so vertical spacing doesn't necessarily help.

18" sounds like very little. Why can't the inlet be taken from a much
greater distance? Will the inlet be submerged on both tacks?

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"pete" wrote in message

Hi all, got a little question: I'm fitting a toilet into my boat and I
am finding places to fit the inlet and outlet seacocks difficult.
The best position is with the outlet below the inlet and about 18
inches apart, but should the outlet be above the inlet to help prevent
sucking back in what you have pumped out? The fitting diagram shows
that but there is no mention of it.

Is there a normal spacing apart of these seacocks?

pete

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:07:46 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

pete wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I am going to put in a holding tank anyway, but for the moment
where I sail I don't need to, and I want to be able to pump out the
odd bit of biologically degradeable waste when I can without carrying
the stuff around with me.

Pete

pete

The problem of taking the inlet seacock further away is that the
seacocks must be turned off after use of the toilet, so they have to
be within the heads, which is small. I don't want any tubing between
the skin fitting and the seacock, and no, if the boat is very heeled
on starboard tack one needs to squeeze ones cheeks together or ask the
skipper to tack! Or better still, avoid the eight pints of lager and a
curry the night before!

Pete

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:12:18 GMT, "Roger Derby"
wrote:

I'm not sure of the "proper" spacing (more is better), but the nasty stuff
often floats, so vertical spacing doesn't necessarily help.

18" sounds like very little. Why can't the inlet be taken from a much
greater distance? Will the inlet be submerged on both tacks?

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"pete" wrote in message
.. .

Hi all, got a little question: I'm fitting a toilet into my boat and I
am finding places to fit the inlet and outlet seacocks difficult.
The best position is with the outlet below the inlet and about 18
inches apart, but should the outlet be above the inlet to help prevent
sucking back in what you have pumped out? The fitting diagram shows
that but there is no mention of it.

Is there a normal spacing apart of these seacocks?

Peggie Hall

pete wrote:

The problem of taking the inlet seacock further away is that the
seacocks must be turned off after use of the toilet, so they have to
be within the heads, which is small. I don't want any tubing between
the skin fitting and the seacock...

Don't forget that unless the toilet will be above the waterline (highly
unlikely on a sailboat), you'll need vented loops in both the intake and
discharge lines...and space in the discharge line to add a y-valve when
you add the tank.

What size is the boat, Pete? And which toilet (make/model) do you plan
to install?

wrote:

I'm not sure of the "proper" spacing (more is better), but the nasty stuff
often floats, so vertical spacing doesn't necessarily help.

18" sounds like very little. Why can't the inlet be taken from a much
greater distance? Will the inlet be submerged on both tacks?

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"pete" wrote in message
. ..

Hi all, got a little question: I'm fitting a toilet into my boat and I
am finding places to fit the inlet and outlet seacocks difficult.
The best position is with the outlet below the inlet and about 18
inches apart, but should the outlet be above the inlet to help prevent
sucking back in what you have pumped out? The fitting diagram shows
that but there is no mention of it.

Is there a normal spacing apart of these seacocks?

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327
pete

Hi Peggie,
I'm building a van de stadt 34, and I'm putting in a Jabsco manual
toilet. As regards the waterline stuff, the bowl is about 2 inches
above and I am putting in the vented loops, I've just about got enough
room for a diverter valve to send the nasty stuff into the tank when
its there. I sail in the atlantic from French/Uk waters and don't need
a tank. in the med we need tanks, but soon the legislation will come
for all.
Personally I think its fine in the med, in port and non tidal seas or
lakes, but I don't beleive that yachtsmen contribute greatly to
pollution of the seas, one needs to look inland for the culprits. Most
yachtsmen I have come across over 30 odd years of sailing are pretty
responsible people, but thats another argument I suppose.

cheers, Pete

"pete" wrote in message

Hi all, got a little question: I'm fitting a toilet into my boat and I
am finding places to fit the inlet and outlet seacocks difficult.
The best position is with the outlet below the inlet and about 18
inches apart, but should the outlet be above the inlet to help prevent
sucking back in what you have pumped out? The fitting diagram shows
that but there is no mention of it.

Is there a normal spacing apart of these seacocks?

Peggie Hall

pete wrote:

Hi Peggie,
I'm building a van de stadt 34...

Bigger than I thought...I was envisioning something 24-26'.

and I'm putting in a Jabsco manual
toilet.

You might want to consider something a bit more durable and reliable.
For your use and that boat, I'd take a hard look at the Blake Lavac.
Alternatively, the Raritan PH II. Either with give you FAR more
trouble-free service than a Jabsco.

As regards the waterline stuff, the bowl is about 2 inches
above and I am putting in the vented loops...

If you stick with a piston/cylinder toilet, remember that the INTAKE
vented loop has to go between the pump and the bowl--to replace the
short piece of hose the toilet mfr used to connect 'em. If you put it
between the thru-hull and the pump, the toilet will have a hard time
priming.

Back to your thru-hulls for a minute...where will your head sink drain?
Will it be on the same side of the keel as the toilet? If so, have you
thought of using the same thru-hull for both the sink and the toilet
intake? They're the same size...many builders tee the head intake into
the head sink drain to eliminate a thru-hull. And, it has the added
advantage of providing a source of clean fresh water to rinse the sea
water out of the system so it can't stagnate and stink while the boat sits.

I've just about got enough
room for a diverter valve to send the nasty stuff into the tank when
its there. I sail in the atlantic from French/Uk waters and don't need
a tank.

I gathered from your reference to lagers and curry that you were most
likely in the UK. Y'all are apparently as addicted to curry as we are to
cheeseburgers.

in the med we need tanks, but soon the legislation will come
for all.

Yep...already in the draft stage...

Personally I think its fine in the med, in port and non tidal seas or
lakes, but I don't beleive that yachtsmen contribute greatly to
pollution of the seas, one needs to look inland for the culprits. Most
yachtsmen I have come across over 30 odd years of sailing are pretty
responsible people, but thats another argument I suppose.

You're "preaching to the choir"...I'm on your side. I don't make the
rules, I'm just the messenger.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327
pete

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:29:32 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

pete wrote:

Hi Peggie,
I'm building a van de stadt 34...

Bigger than I thought...I was envisioning something 24-26'.

and I'm putting in a Jabsco manual
toilet.

You might want to consider something a bit more durable and reliable.
For your use and that boat, I'd take a hard look at the Blake Lavac.
Alternatively, the Raritan PH II. Either with give you FAR more
trouble-free service than a Jabsco.

Too late, already got the jabsco, went for it because the Blake (had
on in my old boat) was so far out of my buget it must be made of
platinum. Maybe they are cheaper in the US.

[...]

Thats a very good idea that I will certainly use. Hate the thought of
boring holes in my nice new hull. Thanks

I've just about got enough
room for a diverter valve to send the nasty stuff into the tank when
its there. I sail in the atlantic from French/Uk waters and don't need
a tank.

I gathered from your reference to lagers and curry that you were most
likely in the UK. Y'all are apparently as addicted to curry as we are to
cheeseburgers.

A Brit living in France, and I miss my curry

in the med we need tanks, but soon the legislation will come
for all.

Yep...already in the draft stage...

Personally I think its fine in the med, in port and non tidal seas or
lakes, but I don't beleive that yachtsmen contribute greatly to
pollution of the seas, one needs to look inland for the culprits. Most
yachtsmen I have come across over 30 odd years of sailing are pretty
responsible people, but thats another argument I suppose.

You're "preaching to the choir"...I'm on your side. I don't make the
rules, I'm just the messenger.

Thanks for the help

Pete
Peggie Hall

pete wrote:
Too late, already got the jabsco, went for it because the Blake (had
on in my old boat) was so far out of my buget it must be made of
platinum. Maybe they are cheaper in the US.

You could take it back...'cuz you're gonna find that going from a Blake
to a Jabsco is like going from a Mercedes to a Yugo! There ARE choices
in between that are affordable. The Lavac is made by Blake, but doesn't
cost nearly what the "baby Blake" does..about $350 USD. The Raritan PH
II is an excellent toilet, rated the best under $500 for several
decades...it's about $250 USD.

Give it some thought, anyway...

Back to your thru-hulls for a minute...where will your head sink drain?
Will it be on the same side of the keel as the toilet? If so, have you
thought of using the same thru-hull for both the sink and the toilet
intake? They're the same size...many builders tee the head intake into
the head sink drain to eliminate a thru-hull. And, it has the added
advantage of providing a source of clean fresh water to rinse the sea
water out of the system so it can't stagnate and stink while the boat sits.

Thats a very good idea that I will certainly use. Hate the thought of
boring holes in my nice new hull. Thanks

You'll either a need a good plug for the sink or a shutoff valve in the
sink drain line ahead of the tee...'cuz unless you close off the sink,
the toilet will pull air from it, preventing the pump from priming.

As for your toilet discharge thru-hull...leave a space within 6' of the
toilet for your eventual inevitable tank. That will allow you to tee the
discharge line from it into your existing head discharge thru-hull. I'll
be glad to help you spec it out when the time comes. And btw...Tek-Tank
is the best UK source for tanks.

Btw, if you aren't there already, you might want to drop by the YBW.com
forums. They're a pretty good bunch over there.

Give another shout if I can help further...

--
Peggie