pete

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:07:46 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

pete wrote:

Hi all, got a little question: I'm fitting a toilet into my boat and I
am finding places to fit the inlet and outlet seacocks difficult.
The best position is with the outlet below the inlet and about 18
inches apart, but should the outlet be above the inlet to help prevent
sucking back in what you have pumped out? The fitting diagram shows
that but there is no mention of it.

18" is a bit close...and yes, the inlet seacock should be a bit higher
than the discharge seacock. But it's not on a lot of production
boats...and as long as the discharge is aft of the inlet, it shouldn't
give you any problems...'cuz you shouldn't be flushing directly
overboard when you're anchored at all. That's illegal in ALL U.S.
inland and coastal waters. You must be in open sea at least 3 miles from
the nearest point on the whole US coastline to flush directly overboard
or dump a tank. And they're also starting to get very sticky about where
you can flush directly overboard in the UK, Europe and "down under" too.

So maybe we should talking about where to put the tank and how it plumb
it instead of worrying about the relative locations of the thru-hulls.

Thanks, I am going to put in a holding tank anyway, but for the moment
where I sail I don't need to, and I want to be able to pump out the
odd bit of biologically degradeable waste when I can without carrying
the stuff around with me.

Pete