pete

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:29:32 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

pete wrote:

Hi Peggie,
I'm building a van de stadt 34...

Bigger than I thought...I was envisioning something 24-26'.

and I'm putting in a Jabsco manual
toilet.

You might want to consider something a bit more durable and reliable.
For your use and that boat, I'd take a hard look at the Blake Lavac.
Alternatively, the Raritan PH II. Either with give you FAR more
trouble-free service than a Jabsco.

Too late, already got the jabsco, went for it because the Blake (had
on in my old boat) was so far out of my buget it must be made of
platinum. Maybe they are cheaper in the US.

As regards the waterline stuff, the bowl is about 2 inches
above and I am putting in the vented loops...

If you stick with a piston/cylinder toilet, remember that the INTAKE
vented loop has to go between the pump and the bowl--to replace the
short piece of hose the toilet mfr used to connect 'em. If you put it
between the thru-hull and the pump, the toilet will have a hard time
priming.

Back to your thru-hulls for a minute...where will your head sink drain?
Will it be on the same side of the keel as the toilet? If so, have you
thought of using the same thru-hull for both the sink and the toilet
intake? They're the same size...many builders tee the head intake into
the head sink drain to eliminate a thru-hull. And, it has the added
advantage of providing a source of clean fresh water to rinse the sea
water out of the system so it can't stagnate and stink while the boat sits.

Thats a very good idea that I will certainly use. Hate the thought of
boring holes in my nice new hull. Thanks

I've just about got enough
room for a diverter valve to send the nasty stuff into the tank when
its there. I sail in the atlantic from French/Uk waters and don't need
a tank.

I gathered from your reference to lagers and curry that you were most
likely in the UK. Y'all are apparently as addicted to curry as we are to
cheeseburgers.

A Brit living in France, and I miss my curry

in the med we need tanks, but soon the legislation will come
for all.

Yep...already in the draft stage...

Personally I think its fine in the med, in port and non tidal seas or
lakes, but I don't beleive that yachtsmen contribute greatly to
pollution of the seas, one needs to look inland for the culprits. Most
yachtsmen I have come across over 30 odd years of sailing are pretty
responsible people, but thats another argument I suppose.

You're "preaching to the choir"...I'm on your side. I don't make the
rules, I'm just the messenger.

Thanks for the help

Pete