dh@.

Default wood stove questions

Hi,

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find
have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can
anyone suggest any stove(s) that they feel are good
and affordable, and any suggestions about use etc?

Thanks for any help!
David

PS in case anyone is interested in what I've found
so far, or wants proof that I've done some looking
on my own as well as asking for people to share
what they've learned, here is a list of some related
websites:

http://www.calarmy.com/tents/
http://www.kni-co.com/
http://tinyurl.com/9pbxv
http://www.aaoobfoods.com/shepherdstoves.htm#2%20DX
http://davistent.com/davisTent/html/WoodStoves.html
http://www.cylinderstoves.com/defram...ovepricing.htm
http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html
http://www.fourdog.com/page2.html
http://www.army-technology.com/contr...manufacturing/
Mungo Bulge

Most of the referenced web pages all have the same stoves, along with
the warning that these stoves are "out door use" appliances, meaning
"don't use them in confined spaces cottages and trailers (house
boats).
If you are going to insist on putting a wood burning heater/stove,
make sure it has facility to use external air for combustion. A good
fire can consume a lot of the usable air within a closed space
quickly.

dh@. wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
| winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
| in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find
| have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
| in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can
| anyone suggest any stove(s) that they feel are good
| and affordable, and any suggestions about use etc?
|
| Thanks for any help!
| David
|
| PS in case anyone is interested in what I've found
| so far, or wants proof that I've done some looking
| on my own as well as asking for people to share
| what they've learned, here is a list of some related
| websites:
|
| http://www.calarmy.com/tents/
| http://www.kni-co.com/
| http://tinyurl.com/9pbxv
| http://www.aaoobfoods.com/shepherdstoves.htm#2%20DX
| http://davistent.com/davisTent/html/WoodStoves.html
| http://www.cylinderstoves.com/defram...ovepricing.htm
| http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html
| http://www.fourdog.com/page2.html

http://www.army-technology.com/contr...manufacturing/

Reynaud

dh@. wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find
have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can
anyone suggest any stove(s) that they feel are good
and affordable, and any suggestions about use etc?

Thanks for any help!
David

PS in case anyone is interested in what I've found
so far, or wants proof that I've done some looking
on my own as well as asking for people to share
what they've learned, here is a list of some related
websites:

You must be wacko why the hell would anyone want an woodstove on an boat? It
is dangerous enough without adding another fire hazard. There are all sorts
of safe fuel burners.

thunder

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:47:24 -0400, dh wrote:

Hi,

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this winter, and I'd
like to have a small wood stove to use in it. All the small wood stoves
I've been able to find have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can anyone suggest any
stove(s) that they feel are good and affordable, and any suggestions about
use etc?

Navigator Stove Works make a marine wood burner.

http://www.marinestove.com/

Although, there are alternatives. Quite a bit of information can be found
he

http://www.cruisingresources.com/Ful...g_the_Boat.asp
Meindert Sprang

"Reynaud" wrote in message
You must be wacko why the hell would anyone want an woodstove on an boat?

It
is dangerous enough without adding another fire hazard. There are all

sorts
of safe fuel burners.

Mmm..... when wast the last time I saw wood vapour catching fire from a
spark.....

Meindert

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, dh@. said:
I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find

I very much doubt that there are any canoers or kayakers who've put wood
stoves in their boats, so I fail to see why you included
rec.boats.paddle.touring in your posting.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

The good news is that traditional small iron stoves are being made
again. The bad is they are priced at 10x what they should be and
scandalous. A new tiny cast woodburner the size of a breadbox costs
$1,600 and the one I inspected close-up last week was a piece of sh*t
in terms of good cast stove construction, not worth $50 to a serious
woodburner, there have been many iron toys for children made & fitted
much better to use than this stove.

A small iron stove of good quality - if you can find one - is better
than other ways of burning wood.

For a long time small laundry stoves & heaters were made for bathrooms
in houses, and you may luck out and find one that has not fallen into
the hands of a stove restorer, who will charge you as much or more
money for one as the new repros above. But at least they are made very
well.

For heating a small space well & effiicently with wood, one must do
opposite from what has become popular today for wood burning practices,
and this will also affect the design of stove to use (that is, if you
can find much of a choice these days), as well as its installation.

Adequate supply air is not likely to be any problem on a houseboat or
other boat, but adequate draught (flue height) for efficient combustion
is. The more you can provide, the better. In practical terms it is
impossible to have too high a flue on a boat, and whatever you can
manage will still have you wishing you had more.

No "airtight stove" type burning should be contemplated. It is very
wasteful of fuel to "hold" or restrict a full fire in a woodstove "to
make it last a long time", it will make smoke outside that will be
miserable with its short flue height, and it will foul the flue. A
boat does not have a woodshed for fuel storage and the resulting waste
from such burning will nearly double the fuel requirement.

Only finely split, DRY (meaning at 20% moisture or less) wood which has
been cut to the proper length for the firebox should be burned. Many
hardwoods take 2 years or more of drying out in the weather to get to
this point. Fires should be kindled quickly and burned hot with
correct underfire & overfire air at high efficiency, and resulting heat
"held" in the stove & mass of the space, rather than trying to hold a
cooler fire for a longer period. This means either brief, hot fires
that are permitted go out, or continual ones which are frequently fed
only one or two sticks at a feeding, depending upon the weather. Such
fires produce very little flue smoke after warmup and sometimes none
that is easily visible, when an experienced person is operating the
stove, and they emit a good deal of heat for the size of the thing -
especially when it is in the "clear fire" stage (mostly charcoal & no
yellow flame). All this stuff may seem obvious but firing a tiny
woodstove well is more challenging than one of larger size, and makes
bigger differences in the heating results.

Remember you will have to deal with ashes and more frequently than in a
bigger stove. On a boat a covered ashcan is needed because there is
usually a breeze when they have to be taken out. People are wierd
today too & some may get ****ed off when they see you dump wood ashes
into the water downwind because they have been culturally deprived.

It IS possible to bank a fire with fresh fuel for delayed burning at
night at starved draught - which is not the same thing as the usual
"airtight stove" inefficient operation but has some similarities. It
will also use up a lot of your ashes & cut back on their disposal, for
there is a lot of unburned material in once-burned ash. Allow a clear
fire to almost burn out, with only some remaining coals, and shake or
remove any excess ash around them. Close all air inlets entirely.
Place on top of them the largest piece of dry fuel that will fit into
the stove, usually through its lifted top & often an unsplit round
section loaded on its end (but it must be *dry wood*). Load the whole
firebox with ashes, all the way up to & over the top of the fuel.
Close up the stove & all draughts & dampers as tightly as possible
(this technique depends on having good flue draught height which will
pull tiny amounts of air into the stove anyway). In a few hours,
everything inside the stove will be one glowing mass, and much later
when it has burned out you will be surprised by now little ash is left
in the morning. Throw *this* ash out, don't try to reuse it for the
next banked fire.

One of the best, least messy & easiest to stow fuelwood sources for a
tiny stove is bagged hardwood waste product from a mill operation, such
as cutoff birch dowel pieces and the like. This is kiln-dried material
and it is so easy to handle and burns so fookin hot, that you will
laugh at anyone who derides you for heating your boat with wood.
You'll still need other larger fuel for more balanced & controlled
fires, and it is easy to overheat & ruin an iron stove burning hardwood
waste if you are not careful.

Terry Spragg

Reynaud wrote:

dh@. wrote in message ...

[...]

Safe? I would like to see a snug fitting stovepipe burner for fire
logs, throttleable, extinguishable, forced draught water heater, for
tea, washing, remote heating, even a steam boiler an engine, excess
steam vented under bustle to increase hull speed.

Unsafe? How about them fireballs you always see when jets blow up?
They use diesel oil for fuel.

Naw! You can swim through a crowd of burning firelogs, put them out
with a wet hat, even make a raft. Try that in burning bunker C, the
"safest" fuel. I wonder if firelogs could be made edible from entire
canola plants?

Terry K

Brian

you might try contacting a wood stove restorer like Key Center Trading Post
in WA (Gig Harbor). They often have stuff in their warehouse and will sell
at a reasonable price (if there is any such thing).

Brian

Terry Spragg

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, dh@. said:

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find

I very much doubt that there are any canoers or kayakers who've put wood
stoves in their boats, so I fail to see why you included
rec.boats.paddle.touring in your posting.

If charcoal burning hand warmers are not wood heaters, perhaps you'd
prefer a New Found Land and Labrador wooden stove? "Gives good
heat, can burn for 24 hours, b'y. Replacement stoves, cheap."

(The classic "Newfie wooden stove" is a packing crate, empty, with
smoke pipe. They can be burned only once. Deluxe versions come
stuffed with wadded up Globe and Mail newsprint press rejects and
roll ends (insert most hated newspaper name, here) "Kindling
included, easier to light, b'y"

Do any wood burners use a 2 liter Sprite bottle of water with a hole
poked in the cap for a class "A" fire extinguisher, parked right
next to the wood stove? Does it save insurance costs?

Haw!

Terry K

Terry K

wood stove questions dh@. General 22 July 24th 05 07:31 AM
Boat repair questions answers found here URL Michael Cruising 0 April 7th 05 06:56 PM
Questions about Fiberglassing Wood - OurBoat.jpg (0/1) Jason Boat Building 10 June 11th 04 05:28 PM
2 newbie questions... A.C. General 3 September 6th 03 08:46 AM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM