Michael

Default Boat repair questions answers found here URL

Although this is a wooden boat building forum many aspects apply to
fiberglass boats as well.

http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=008298

Excellent posts on types of bottom paint and adhesives, some what
techincal but very understandable.

Heres a list of topics at the above URL with the corresponding links:

Wooden Boat Repair Library
Beginners Boat Building Books

Courtesy of Dave Fleming

On Battens For Lofting
On How it was done
On Mentors
On Templates and the making of.
On Deep Hole Drilling
On Sharpening Shipwrights Tools
On Projects
Rust Removal (by Kevin Chamberlain, Member HTPAA)
Wood Handbook--Wood as an engineering material (U.S. Dept. of
Agriculture)
Personal View and Opinions
On Misteaks and Boo-boos

Courtesy of Duck Trap Woodworking

Lining Off & Spiling (Recommended)

Courtesy of Bob Smalser

Rehabilitating Old Chisels (Big File)
Rehabilitating Old Planes (Revised) (Bigger)
Shop-Made Joiner and Boatwright Tools I
Shop-Made Joiner and Boatwright Tools II
Shop-Made Joiner and Boatwright Tools III
Maintaining Traditional Oil Skins and "Tin" Cloth
Chopping Mortises - A Quick Tutorial
Milling Earl's Fir
Milling Earl's Fir - Part 3 of 3
The Drawknife
Files, Filing, Filling and Finishing….Metal
Sharpening Handsaws
The Incredibly Versatile Sweep Brace
Rehabbing Wooden Planes
The Haunched and Drawbored Mortise and Tenon Part I
The Haunched and Drawbored Mortise and Tenon Part II
An Inexpensive 50-Degree Smoothing Plane
More Chisels
Fast But Sure Construction
Repairing and Restoring Varnished Hardwood
Spoke Shave Tune Up
Tuning Card Scrapers
Making Spar Planes Inexpensively
A Simple Pair of Seven-foot Oars
A Simple 3-Board Door
Linder Rigging Knife
Wiring Harnesses for Small Boats and Trailers
Have a Trashed Chain Saw?
8-Siding Gage
Making a Better Coping/Dovetail Saw
Basic Sharpening
Wood Chisel Survey for Beginners
Machine Cut Through Dovetails

Timber Frame
"Whew!" (Site-Milled Lumber)
Big Madrone
Big Madrone 2 ( Into Each Life a Little Rain Must Fall )
Big Madrone 3 (Pitch Pockets…Bullets…and Slabs)
Cruiser Was a Logger's Dog
Snow Today At Sprague Pond
Shop-Made Joiner Tools
Air Drying Stacks (Revised)
Ring Count

Courtesy of Gary Porter

Boatbuild ing Notes Part I (Tips from the Old Hands)
Boatbuild ing Notes Part II (More tips from the Old Hands)

Courtesy of mmd

Laying out a simple compass rose

A - Accuracy, Amputation, Air Tanks

Tale of an Amputation
How big a mistake is OK?
Air tanks

B - Ballast, Bungs, Bonding, Bouyancy, Bevels, Bilge

Concrete ballast
Water Ballast
Setting Bungs
Quick bung remover?
Bonding vs No Bonding
Buoyancy questions
Sanding plugs fair
Cutting running frame bevels, bandsoars, and traditional
boatbuilding...
The only cure for a stinky bilge: clean it--REALLY clean it.
Steam-Cleaning the Bilge

C - Caulk, Cleaner, Compass, Cleats, Chain, Controls, Centerboard

Caulking - Carvel Planked Boat
Straighten me out (polysulfide veining for lapstrake)
Varnish over 5200 ??
Deck Caulk (grab that stick, this horse is only kinda dead))
BoatLife polysulphide caulk
Sodium TriPhosphate question.
Dolphinite bedding compound
Oxalic acid
Cleaning Bilges
Compass Recommendation Please
Uses for Vinegar
Prairie Islander need some cleats...
How best to remove old caulk
Paying seams
Help 5200 in seams (a cautionary tale)
Anchor chain
Boat controls and steering
Centerboard Construction
Centerboard
Metal centerboards
Waterproofing centerboard
Bolt for centerboard
Centerboard pivot

D - Deck

Getting the deck right
Should I consider a Laid Teak deck?
Laid Deck choices
White Lead (where else could this topic be placed?)
Question for Dave F. and other shipwrights (Deck Seams)
Dumb Woodworking Question of the Day: How do I enlarge a through-deck
hole?...
Teak deck - once again
Sugar added to paint as an anti skid. (04-23-2002) “Salt is
Hygroscopic”
Slippery floor in an open boat. (11-28-2002) 1/3 Pine Tar 1/3 Boiled
Linseed Oli 1/3 Turps, Deks Olje
Oil on a teak sole

E - Epoxy, Ergonomics

Epoxy is Crap
CPES yes or no?
Epoxy fillers
Epoxy Virgin
Enhancing Colloidal Silica Effect
The Chemist on Epoxy
Repost of "CPES" (NIA)
Glue spreader
Epoxy VS Resorcinol
Epoxy Fillets
Answer Me This, A Goo Question?
Vacuum 'Bagging' - How to seal the bag
Hot Climate & Epoxy - A Solution!
C.P.E.S. under epoxy, paint & varnish
Uses for Vinegar
Repost of "Aerodux Resorcinol"
Epoxy curing question
Epoxy Pumps and cranks
Epoxy, machine screw repair
Ergonomics

F - Fastner, Floatation, Frames, Fiberglass

Refastening w/rivets reference
Treenail excerpt
FLOTATION
Help, Chemist (floatation foam)
Drifts
Square Drive Fastners
Breaking Bronze Screws
Re-fastening
Silicone Bronze Screw Breakage
Removing electrolysed bronze screws?
Using Copper Rivets
Mixing bronze with S/S below waterline
Repost "Screws vs. Rivets"
Repost "Salt Water Boat: S. Bronze or Stainless below Waterline?"
Further harpin musings...
Ring frames in trad. construction?
Frames notched into keel or not ?
Removing rusty bolts, lags, etc.
316 ss for plank fastening
Help! My clench nailing is a mess!
Removing Fastenings
Glassing over a carvel planked hull?

G - Gronicles

Gronicles
Bonding Gronicles

H - Hinge, Heads

Foredeck hatch hinge placement?
Let's talk s**t...(Heads and Holding Tanks)

J - Joint, Japanese Woodworker

Fundamentals of joint design
Finger joints for planking
Scarf Joints
Stop waters
Thoughts of a Japanese Master Woodworker

L - Keel, Keel Bolts

What keels are made of
Monel instead of bronze for my keelbolts???

L - Lapstrake, Lofting, Lead, Leather

Glued Lapstrake for larger boats?
Lapstrake daysailer
Lofting ??
Online tutorial in lofting
A source of cheap lead
300 gallons of water, where did it go? (Getting a Clinker/lapstrake
boat wet after six years on the hard)
Lead pouring 101....
Straigten me out, tell me I'm all wet(re traditional lapstrake
construction)
Tips for making feather edge gains (ramp style rabbeted gain)
Oar leather attachment (with a VG link to an illustrated example)

M - Mast, Moving

building a hollow mast (Birds mouth spar)
Building a two or three part hollow wooden mast
How in the world........?(getting the boat built inside - outside)

P - Paint, Pictures, Planking, Planing, Plywood, Pine Tar

Paint (Dave Carnell on Latex paint)
Repost "PRIMER" (NIA)
Cleek on Painting ..Repost
What's the best Paint Stripper...
( How to put) Pictures on the Forum
Traditional Construction Methods
Luan plywood
On the hazards of using MEK
Painting a waterline
Red Lead Primer
Paint II
How much Penetrol (or the like)?
How to plane wide timber for thickness... without proper tools?
Dumb question. Antifouling removal....how?
If a question is not a chemical, can a chemical be a question? Chemist
on Paint
For Chemist: Solvents
Doctoring bottom paint... any feedback?
Plywood WITHOUT epoxy?
A useful question about paint, plucked out of Miscellaneous (The
Chemist)
Painting/Applying a Name
Repost "Old mahogany raceboat bottoms"
Making red lead from red lead powder
Repost "Plywood" (NIA)
PineTar LinseedOil Turpentine Mixture for Decks...Sticky?
Pine tar, in case you did not know
Basic Painting
How much does a coat of paint weigh?
Gluing thinner plywood sheets to get thicker stock
Glued ply vs riveted timber
Water level for LWL
Bilge Paint

R - Rabbet, Rot, Rail, Rigging, Rudder, Repair

Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (USCG Site)
I need help with Rabbit and Bearding lines
About the ethalene glycol treatment....
Ethylene Glycol in Epoxy: A study of insidious degradation
Wood Stabilization and Preservation
Smith's Guide to Rot
Pin rail
Salt in bilge
Linseed oil (rot prevention?)
What size rigging?
Advice on mounting Gudgeons & Pintels?
Push / Pull Tiller construction
Mounting Rope Bumper
Scarfing planks onto cabin sides (Dutchman)

S - Survey, Sail, Shaft, Sharpening, Springback, Stem, Spokeshave

"The Survey Says"
gaff sail design
Sail Battens
Loose Footed Gaff Mainsail
cotton canvas sails
Making sails
how to drill prop shaft on the keel?
Slick solution for boring shaft alleys!
Sharp questions
Five-Second Sharpening
Laminating Springback
Oiling my palm
Black goop to use on wrapped shrouds?
Finishing, Protecting and Setting Up a Sliding Gunter Rig
Laminating an outer stem
Making mast hoops
Spokeshave tune up

T - Tools, Transom, Termites, Through-hull

Tool Care - Help for the AR Challenged
Draw Knives
Transom Interior
Pull Saws
Half-adz'ed question
Termites
Cruising tool list
How would you mount a transducer?

V - Varnish

How many coats of varnish?
Varnish that won't dry
Saving Varnish #2
Varnishing Brushes
Repost - The Chemist on Varnish (Spraying Varnish I)
Spraying Varnish II
Brushing Liquid (thinning varnish)
Varnishing over old varnish
Varnish Brush
Last coat of varnish?
Varnish woes again
Proper varnish thinning proportion

W - Wood

Which wood?
Kiln-Dried Wood
Old growth lumber Vs what's available now...
Look high or low for crooks, knees, and compass timber?
Anybody ever used Live oak?
Is Elm good wood for boat building?
Black Locust
Wood Electrolysis