Evan Gatehouse

Default heating epoxy drum without a drum heater?

My drum of epoxy has partially crystallized - blame a cold
spring. Any suggestions on how to warm up ~200 lbs of epoxy
+ drum short of purchasing a drum heater??

I've thought of just painting it black and leaving it in the
sun but this year we've had only a few days above 20°C
(~72F) and I need to get the drum up to 120°F for a few
hours to melt it all again.

I've also got a small 1500W electric heater that I keep
pointed right at the drum, which seems to melt a bit as I am
using it, but I am beginning to think I'm getting behind the
melting rate!

I also have a 50,000 BTU Propane Heater that I can use in
the garage space I am borrowing, but no easy way to direct
it toward the drum (it mostly vents upwards like a kerosene
heater).

Thanks, etc.

Evan Gatehouse
David Flew

Use the 1500W heater, build a tent out of e.g. cheap polytarps, make sure
you have enough air outlet space but not too much, you may need to run the
heater on low. Perhaps have the air flow spiralling around the drum.
Monitor the air temperature inside the "tent" and adjust ventilation and
power as necessary.
You could make the tent out of other stuff, depending on what is available.

Obviously watch for overheating and potential for fire. Good luck.
DF

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
My drum of epoxy has partially crystallized - blame a cold spring. Any
suggestions on how to warm up ~200 lbs of epoxy + drum short of purchasing
a drum heater??

I've thought of just painting it black and leaving it in the sun but this
year we've had only a few days above 20°C (~72F) and I need to get the
drum up to 120°F for a few hours to melt it all again.

I've also got a small 1500W electric heater that I keep pointed right at
the drum, which seems to melt a bit as I am using it, but I am beginning
to think I'm getting behind the melting rate!

I also have a 50,000 BTU Propane Heater that I can use in the garage space
I am borrowing, but no easy way to direct it toward the drum (it mostly
vents upwards like a kerosene heater).

Thanks, etc.

Evan Gatehouse

Terry Spragg

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

My drum of epoxy has partially crystallized - blame a cold spring. Any
suggestions on how to warm up ~200 lbs of epoxy + drum short of
purchasing a drum heater??

I've thought of just painting it black and leaving it in the sun but
this year we've had only a few days above 20°C (~72F) and I need to get
the drum up to 120°F for a few hours to melt it all again.

I've also got a small 1500W electric heater that I keep pointed right at
the drum, which seems to melt a bit as I am using it, but I am beginning
to think I'm getting behind the melting rate!

I also have a 50,000 BTU Propane Heater that I can use in the garage
space I am borrowing, but no easy way to direct it toward the drum (it
mostly vents upwards like a kerosene heater).

Thanks, etc.

Evan Gatehouse

Build a tent around the drum, insulated with pink fiberglass. Duct
the heater to it with plastic film, or insulated ducting.

Might be too much heat to manage easily.

You can get heater tape intended for Canadian pipes. Wrap a few
around the drum, insulate the drum with some pink fibreglass, stand
it on a slab of styrofoam, plug it in, and wait. You may have to
use the thermostat as an ice cold drink caddy while you wait, or
wire a bypass around it.

Terry K

Roger Derby

Cars and trucks get suitably warm inside if parked in the sun.

I might try to heat water to circulate (pour over) the drum. This would
eliminate the possibility of overheating and destroying the epoxy.

Would your 1500 W heater do the job if you built a "hut" of pink foam?

200 lbs is that awkward weight where extreme measures are overkill, but you
can hurt yourself easily.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
My drum of epoxy has partially crystallized - blame a cold spring. Any
suggestions on how to warm up ~200 lbs of epoxy + drum short of purchasing
a drum heater??

I've thought of just painting it black and leaving it in the sun but this
year we've had only a few days above 20°C (~72F) and I need to get the
drum up to 120°F for a few hours to melt it all again.

I've also got a small 1500W electric heater that I keep pointed right at
the drum, which seems to melt a bit as I am using it, but I am beginning
to think I'm getting behind the melting rate!

I also have a 50,000 BTU Propane Heater that I can use in the garage space
I am borrowing, but no easy way to direct it toward the drum (it mostly
vents upwards like a kerosene heater).

Thanks, etc.

Evan Gatehouse

Wrap an electric blanket around the drum on "HI". Wrap another blanket
round that to hold heat in.

Mac

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:01:18 -0700, dbohara wrote:

Wrap an electric blanket around the drum on "HI". Wrap another blanket
round that to hold heat in.

Monitor the temperature inside the blanket tent to make sure it doesn't
get too high. It would be a shame if the blankets caught on fire, and a
tragedy if you burned down a house.

--Mac

Brian Nystrom

Mac wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:01:18 -0700, dbohara wrote:

Wrap an electric blanket around the drum on "HI". Wrap another blanket
round that to hold heat in.

Monitor the temperature inside the blanket tent to make sure it doesn't
get too high. It would be a shame if the blankets caught on fire, and a
tragedy if you burned down a house.

Electric blankets don't get that hot. Otherwise, you'd have millions of
people burning in their beds.
Mac

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:16:49 +0000, Brian Nystrom wrote:

Mac wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:01:18 -0700, dbohara wrote:

Wrap an electric blanket around the drum on "HI". Wrap another blanket
round that to hold heat in.

Monitor the temperature inside the blanket tent to make sure it doesn't
get too high. It would be a shame if the blankets caught on fire, and a
tragedy if you burned down a house.

Electric blankets don't get that hot. Otherwise, you'd have millions of
people burning in their beds.

Makes sense. Where I live, electric blankets are not necessary, so my
experience is limited. I was thinking that when they get hot, the people
just turn them down or off. But I guess they must have some kind of
thermostat or something?

Still, for process control purposes, the OP should keep an eye on the
interior temperature somehow, if possible. After all, he said 120 F for a
few hours, so he'll want to know when the temp passes 120. I imagine a
radio shack remote sensing thermometer could do this.

--Mac

Mungo Bulge

Actually, you should always go with your first thoughts. Paint it
black and then "green house" it. Put it outside where the sun can
shine on it, construct a green house tent of poly film and it will
reach 50°C easily. 55°C will require sun shine all day.

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
| My drum of epoxy has partially crystallized - blame a cold
| spring. Any suggestions on how to warm up ~200 lbs of epoxy
| + drum short of purchasing a drum heater??
|
| I've thought of just painting it black and leaving it in the
| sun but this year we've had only a few days above 20°C
| (~72F) and I need to get the drum up to 120°F for a few
| hours to melt it all again.
|
| I've also got a small 1500W electric heater that I keep
| pointed right at the drum, which seems to melt a bit as I am
| using it, but I am beginning to think I'm getting behind the
| melting rate!
|
| I also have a 50,000 BTU Propane Heater that I can use in
| the garage space I am borrowing, but no easy way to direct
| it toward the drum (it mostly vents upwards like a kerosene
| heater).
|
| Thanks, etc.
|
| Evan Gatehouse

gaffcat

I had the same problem and I borrowed a diesel/kerosene heater, the
type that makes a lot of noise and blows very hot air horizontally and
are often seen on construction sites in cold areas. They also are made
for lp gas. I am sure you can rent one. Just direct the heat at the
drum and maybe turn it a couple times, worked great for me.

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
My drum of epoxy has partially crystallized - blame a cold
spring. Any suggestions on how to warm up ~200 lbs of epoxy
+ drum short of purchasing a drum heater??

I've thought of just painting it black and leaving it in the
sun but this year we've had only a few days above 20=B0C
(~72F) and I need to get the drum up to 120=B0F for a few
hours to melt it all again.

I've also got a small 1500W electric heater that I keep
pointed right at the drum, which seems to melt a bit as I am
using it, but I am beginning to think I'm getting behind the
melting rate!

I also have a 50,000 BTU Propane Heater that I can use in
the garage space I am borrowing, but no easy way to direct
it toward the drum (it mostly vents upwards like a kerosene
heater).
=20
Thanks, etc.
=20