Brian D

Default Doel-Fin or ???

Hi,

My son has a 14' light weight wooden skiff that is designed to be a
compromise between good rowing and good motoring. The bottom of the boat has
a bit of rocker to it, but not nearly so much as a drift boat. Regardless,
it points it's bow up nice and high when underway with our 6-horse. The boat
just settles on it's stern and off it goes ...but the visibility isn't so
hot if you happen to be the one with the tiller in your hand.

I'm considering a Doel-Fin, or similar, gizmo to put on the anti-cav plate,
hoping it'll help hold the bow down a bit more. The motor is already tucked
in as far as it'll go, so I want to try something more now. Which of the
Doel-Fin type gizmos is best for a slower boat like this for holding the bow
down more?? It's a different need than say, a ski boat that porpoises or
something. We just don't want to run over any more logs (or people or other
boats) than we have to in the local lakes and bays, and it'd help make the
crab pot buoys easier to spot too...

Thx,
Brian

---------------------
http://www.reelboats.com
Failing to Plan is the same as Planning to Fail

Bowgus

If it was me, I'd try making up some diy "trim tabs" and mount them to the
boat (rather than put anything on the motor). My thinking ... no added
stress to the motor mount/stern. Only thinking out loud here :-)

"Brian D" wrote in message
[...]

Brian D

Actually, since the real problem is that the hull has too much rocker to
allow it to be a good motor boat, I think a better solution is to install a
transom wedge ...the kind that adds 5 degrees of trim to the motor, not
those wedgy things that people glue on the boat bottom near the transom. If
I could trim the motor a few more degrees, it'd force the bow down a bit
more and also cause the boat to ride on a wider (waterline) beam since it
narrows at the stern. It might even go a little faster. Bought a tiller
extension for it today too, and will buy extra long cables so I can put
trolling motor batteries in the bow area. I can make the transom wedge
myself, so the cost is near zero...

Thanks,
Brian

"Brian D" wrote in message
[...]

F Finecey

Hello, My name is Frank and I live in Nutall Rise FL on the banks of the
Aucilla River. This section of the Aucilla is just loaded with rocks,
submerged logs, and an occasional manatee or gator. I had the same problem
you describe with my Tiller steered, 16' Carolina Skiff. A friend I worked
with put me on to a device that I am having outstanding success with. Take
a look at the "bolt on" Hydro-Shield. It brought the bow down for better
visibility and when the water was stained and the rocks and such are not
visible the hits that I had just bounced over with no prop or skid damage.

Cheers, FIN

http://www.hydro-shield.com/

"Brian D" wrote .................................................
My son has a 14' light weight wooden skiff ............... it points it's
bow up nice and high when underway with our 6-horse. The boat just settles
on it's stern and off it goes ...but the visibility isn't so hot if you
happen to be the one with the tiller in your hand. I'm considering a
Doel-Fin, or similar, gizmo to put on the anti-cav
plate..................... we just don't want to run over any more logs
(or people or other boats) than we have to in the local lakes and bays,
and it'd help make the crab pot buoys easier to spot too...

Thx, Brian

Brian D

Looks like it would work, but I'm not finding much info on it from actual
users (web and newsgroup search) and it costs twice as much as a Doel-Fin
....a bit spendy don't you think? Interesting though.

Brian

"F Finecey" wrote in message
[...]

Bowgus

Sure looks like a scam to me ...

and the rocks and such are not
visible the hits that I had just bounced over with no
prop or skid damage.

Brian D

I doubt it's a scam, but I'm betting some affiliation there ...sounds like a
sales job to me too. I did a web search and I did find one marina that
carried it and I found one guy that was considering it, but other than one
boat that I saw for sale I didn't find lots of people USING it. I figure
it's the price ...twice as much as a Doel-Fin. I can't see why it wouldn't
work, but I wonder what stress it puts on your skeg if you hit something,
and how much additional crap you'll pick up with it when operating in
shallow water. For now, I'm going to experiment on my boat and just put a
wedge in between the motor and transom to give me more trim on the motor and
see how that goes. If it's not enough, then I guess a Doel-Fin would be
next.

Brian

"Bowgus" wrote in message
Sure looks like a scam to me ...

and the rocks and such are not
visible the hits that I had just bounced over with no
prop or skid damage.

F Finecey

Sorry folks but no scam here. I'm just sharing my experience. This is my
first boat and I'm still pretty clumsy with it. (you ought to see the show
when I use a boat ramp) The 30 hp Yamaha was fitted with a stainless steel
prop by the person I bought it from and I did not want to add any more nicks
to it than I already had.

I assure you that I have no affiliation with the Hydro-Shield vendor. I was
looking through a Shallow Water Angler magazine (no affiliation with them
either), saw the ad and it looked like it would work. I too did a web
search but could not find any local outlets or independent reviews. I asked
around locally if anyone knew anything about it and found one person who saw
the same ad and installed one on his boat. He was satisfied.

My experience with the Hydro-Shield has been positive. It is scuffed from a
few prop hits. The nylon "wings" prevented the prop from hitting something
hard. The attachment plates pretty much cover the skeg and I have not
removed it to do a "sure-nuff" inspection. There may be some weakening of
the skeg due to drilling the four holes needed to mount the unit. I dressed
up the holes with a slight bevel to limit any stress risers. The next time
I pull the boat out of the water I'll take a peek.

During the past two years the Aucilla river has been out of the banks on and
off for several weeks due to heavy rains and has remained very stained
compared to my first years living here. I run the river slow and make sure
that my motor is not locked down so it will bounce when I do make a hit. I
still manage to bounce off the rocks when I miss the slot going under the
HWY 98 bridge or heading up the west run towards the Slave Canal. This
gadget has served its main purpose, preventing prop damage. Also, the bow
does not ride up as high increasing my visibility. I have seen no difference
before and after with regards to picking up crap when operating in shallow
water. I do not have a tach but my throttle position is about a eighth of a
twist less going up river since the installation.

By the way, this is my second Hydro-Shield. It is not a Magic Shield. My
"grand-son-in-law" hit hard with the motor locked down and knocked the whole
foot off. The folks at Big Bend Marine (these folks I will indorse)
inspected the transom and it was sound.

Again no scam, no affiliation, I'm just sharing my very limited boating
experience.

Cheers, FIN

****************
"Brian D" wrote in message ...
I doubt it's a scam, but I'm betting some affiliation there ...sounds like a
sales job to me too.......... I did a web search and I did find one marina
that carried it and I found one guy that was considering it, but other than
one.......... I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I wonder what stress it
puts on your skeg if you hit something, and how much additional crap you'll
pick up with it when operating in shallow water....................

Brian

Brian D

Thanks for clearing things up. It was nice of you to come back and fill out
the details...

Brian

"Brian D" wrote in message ...
I doubt it's a scam, but I'm betting some affiliation there ...sounds like
a sales job to me too.......... I did a web search and I did find one
marina that carried it and I found one guy that was considering it, but
other than one.......... I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I wonder