Brian D

Actually, since the real problem is that the hull has too much rocker to
allow it to be a good motor boat, I think a better solution is to install a
transom wedge ...the kind that adds 5 degrees of trim to the motor, not
those wedgy things that people glue on the boat bottom near the transom. If
I could trim the motor a few more degrees, it'd force the bow down a bit
more and also cause the boat to ride on a wider (waterline) beam since it
narrows at the stern. It might even go a little faster. Bought a tiller
extension for it today too, and will buy extra long cables so I can put
trolling motor batteries in the bow area. I can make the transom wedge
myself, so the cost is near zero...

Thanks,
Brian

"Bowgus" wrote in message
If it was me, I'd try making up some diy "trim tabs" and mount them to the
boat (rather than put anything on the motor). My thinking ... no added
stress to the motor mount/stern. Only thinking out loud here :-)

"Brian D" wrote in message
Hi,

My son has a 14' light weight wooden skiff that is designed to be a
compromise between good rowing and good motoring. The bottom of the boat

has
a bit of rocker to it, but not nearly so much as a drift boat.
Regardless,
it points it's bow up nice and high when underway with our 6-horse. The

boat
just settles on it's stern and off it goes ...but the visibility isn't so
hot if you happen to be the one with the tiller in your hand.

I'm considering a Doel-Fin, or similar, gizmo to put on the anti-cav

plate,
hoping it'll help hold the bow down a bit more. The motor is already

tucked
in as far as it'll go, so I want to try something more now. Which of the
Doel-Fin type gizmos is best for a slower boat like this for holding the

bow
down more?? It's a different need than say, a ski boat that porpoises or
something. We just don't want to run over any more logs (or people or

other
boats) than we have to in the local lakes and bays, and it'd help make
the
crab pot buoys easier to spot too...

Thx,
Brian

http://www.reelboats.com
Failing to Plan is the same as Planning to Fail