F Finecey

Sorry folks but no scam here. I'm just sharing my experience. This is my
first boat and I'm still pretty clumsy with it. (you ought to see the show
when I use a boat ramp) The 30 hp Yamaha was fitted with a stainless steel
prop by the person I bought it from and I did not want to add any more nicks
to it than I already had.

I assure you that I have no affiliation with the Hydro-Shield vendor. I was
looking through a Shallow Water Angler magazine (no affiliation with them
either), saw the ad and it looked like it would work. I too did a web
search but could not find any local outlets or independent reviews. I asked
around locally if anyone knew anything about it and found one person who saw
the same ad and installed one on his boat. He was satisfied.

My experience with the Hydro-Shield has been positive. It is scuffed from a
few prop hits. The nylon "wings" prevented the prop from hitting something
hard. The attachment plates pretty much cover the skeg and I have not
removed it to do a "sure-nuff" inspection. There may be some weakening of
the skeg due to drilling the four holes needed to mount the unit. I dressed
up the holes with a slight bevel to limit any stress risers. The next time
I pull the boat out of the water I'll take a peek.

During the past two years the Aucilla river has been out of the banks on and
off for several weeks due to heavy rains and has remained very stained
compared to my first years living here. I run the river slow and make sure
that my motor is not locked down so it will bounce when I do make a hit. I
still manage to bounce off the rocks when I miss the slot going under the
HWY 98 bridge or heading up the west run towards the Slave Canal. This
gadget has served its main purpose, preventing prop damage. Also, the bow
does not ride up as high increasing my visibility. I have seen no difference
before and after with regards to picking up crap when operating in shallow
water. I do not have a tach but my throttle position is about a eighth of a
twist less going up river since the installation.

By the way, this is my second Hydro-Shield. It is not a Magic Shield. My
"grand-son-in-law" hit hard with the motor locked down and knocked the whole
foot off. The folks at Big Bend Marine (these folks I will indorse)
inspected the transom and it was sound.

Again no scam, no affiliation, I'm just sharing my very limited boating
experience.

Cheers, FIN

"Brian D" wrote in message ...
I doubt it's a scam, but I'm betting some affiliation there ...sounds like a
sales job to me too.......... I did a web search and I did find one marina
that carried it and I found one guy that was considering it, but other than
one.......... I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I wonder what stress it
puts on your skeg if you hit something, and how much additional crap you'll
pick up with it when operating in shallow water....................

Brian