Default a pilot house by any other name

Can anyone explain the difference between:
1. pilot house
2. wheel house
3. dog house
4. deck saloon

Thanks, Jim

Brian D

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the pilot house
is a wheel house that is raised. A wheel house is a steering station with
hard sides and roof. Neither is outfitted with a salon, keeping in mind
that a salon typically means settee and/or table, galley, and the like, and
it's sometimes separated from the pilot house, and as mentioned, sometimes
on a separate level (even if only different by 6").

No clue on dog house, but my wife says I live there. And I have no clue on
what a deck saloon is ...is that just a cooler of beer?

Brian D

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone explain the difference between:
1. pilot house
2. wheel house
3. dog house
4. deck saloon

Thanks, Jim

Evan Gatehouse

Brian D wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the pilot house
is a wheel house that is raised. A wheel house is a steering station with
hard sides and roof. Neither is outfitted with a salon, keeping in mind
that a salon typically means settee and/or table, galley, and the like, and
it's sometimes separated from the pilot house, and as mentioned, sometimes
on a separate level (even if only different by 6").

A saloon is a place where you go to drink (the "living room"
on a boat).

A salon is where women go to get their hair done.

And the terms pilot house/wheelhouse/deck saloon are all
pretty much interchangeable.

Evan Gatehouse

I believe a dog house refers to the curved enclosing structure over a
hatchway that allows it to have a vertical door. Like the front deck
of this boat:
http://www.benford.us/index.html?trawler/

barry lawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone explain the difference between:
1. pilot house

Shed on an upper deck with steering, contols and nav gear

2. wheel house

Flasher than 1, and usually incorporated into other structure

3. dog house

Rigid cover over forward end of cocpit protecting some of the crew and
companionway

4. deck saloon

Living room with view while seated, often incorporates functions of 1 1n2

barry lawson

Brian D wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the

pilot house
is a wheel house that is raised. A wheel house is a steering station

with
hard sides and roof. Neither is outfitted with a salon, keeping in

mind
that a salon typically means settee and/or table, galley, and the

like, and
it's sometimes separated from the pilot house, and as mentioned,

sometimes
on a separate level (even if only different by 6").

No clue on dog house, but my wife says I live there. And I have no

clue on
what a deck saloon is ...is that just a cooler of beer?

Brian D

You might be right. However, I am building a pilothouse sloop and it's
not raised. I would not call it a wheel house, but I think of wheel
houses as being raised as well. I think of wheel houses as somthing on
a larger commercial boat whereas a pilothouse might be on a smaller
workboat or a recreational craft. That is certainly not a qualified
definition, however.

Al Gunther Kingston, WA ---- 47=B0 48.1'N, 122=B0 30.0'W

Brian D

Hi Al. Long time no talk. I spoke with you years ago back when I was
building a drift boat and you gave me lots of good advice. How's that
carvel planked sailboat coming? I've built several boats since then, and am
now working on this one: http://www.reelboats.com .

On the whole 'house thing, how about if we just say "the house" and leave it
at that? Seems like the most general answer and not too confusing. I think
"cabin" is more confusing personally ...some think it's the cuddy (sleeping
quarters in the bow) and some think it's the whole schmo ...cuddy AND house
AND saloon. And then there's deck and sole ...which is which, and when does
a deck become a sole and vice versa? How about floors? Traditional
sailboat fans know what the floors are, but how about everyone else? Are we
having fun yet? Scuppers or freeing ports? Seacocks or valves? Motor or
engine? Line or rode? Window or 'operator'? Port light or porthole? Oi!

Brian D

wrote in message
ups.com...
Brian D wrote:
[...]

Al Gunther Kingston, WA ---- 47° 48.1'N, 122° 30.0'W

( OT ) Gannongate: It's worse than you think Jim, General 6 February 24th 05 02:08 PM
( OT ) "Jeff Gannon's" incredible access Jim, General 47 February 20th 05 01:12 AM
Gulf 27 Pilot House Mr T General 6 January 3rd 05 12:16 AM
DESIGNING PORTAL CREATION DATABASE SHOPPING CART ANIMAT Ad-Aero General 0 May 19th 04 02:10 AM