Robert or Karen Swarts

Default Mast foot problem

I have unstepped the mast on my Coronado 25 and noticed that the mast foot
is flat in the fore and aft direction, but the tabernacle is stepped down
about 1/16" at the middle of the footprint of the foot. Anyone know why this
is? Was there originally a spacer of
some sort between the forward bottom of the foot and the tabernacle? Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Bob Swarts

ddinc

I am not sure of your description, but we put a small rocker
on the bottom of the mast to prevent eccentricity in the tube.
(the mast does not sit quite flat on the bottom)
I am not sure I would worry about it, but I am not sure
what you are describing.

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
I have unstepped the mast on my Coronado 25 and noticed that the mast foot
is flat in the fore and aft direction, but the tabernacle is stepped down
about 1/16" at the middle of the footprint of the foot. Anyone know why
this is? Was there originally a spacer of
some sort between the forward bottom of the foot and the tabernacle? Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Bob Swarts

Jim Conlin

Can't remember what kind of boat but i remember one builder/rigger who
deliberately cut the bottom of his mast tubes a liitle on the bias so
that the bottom panel of the mast was encouraged to bow forward under
compression.

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

I have unstepped the mast on my Coronado 25 and noticed that the mast foot
is flat in the fore and aft direction, but the tabernacle is stepped down
about 1/16" at the middle of the footprint of the foot. Anyone know why this
is? Was there originally a spacer of
some sort between the forward bottom of the foot and the tabernacle? Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Bob Swarts

Robert or Karen Swarts

The bottom of the mast foot is flat, but if you drew a line in the fore and
aft direction along the center of the tabernacle, it would step downwards
about 1/16" halfway along. Why would anyone design a mast/foot/tabernacle to
rest on only the aft half of the foot? I have come up with no good reason
thus far.

BS

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
Can't remember what kind of boat but i remember one builder/rigger who
deliberately cut the bottom of his mast tubes a liitle on the bias so that
the bottom panel of the mast was encouraged to bow forward under
compression.
Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

I have unstepped the mast on my Coronado 25 and noticed that the mast foot
is flat in the fore and aft direction, but the tabernacle is stepped down
about 1/16" at the middle of the footprint of the foot. Anyone know why
this is? Was there originally a spacer of
some sort between the forward bottom of the foot and the tabernacle? Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Bob Swarts

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:20:04 -0800, "Robert or Karen Swarts"
wrote:

Yes. In this case, the cast aluminum fitting on which the mast foot hinges
by means of a single pin, and on which the mast rests when it is stepped.

BS

It wouldn't be for clearance when the mast is pivoted on the pin/bolt?
Mark E. Williams
Terry Spragg

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:
I have unstepped the mast on my Coronado 25 and noticed that the mast foot
is flat in the fore and aft direction, but the tabernacle is stepped down
about 1/16" at the middle of the footprint of the foot. Anyone know why this
is? Was there originally a spacer of
some sort between the forward bottom of the foot and the tabernacle? Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Bob Swarts

Some sort of hinge arrangement to make starting the mast down a
little easier?

Which way is the drop?

There was a corner ground off of the foot on my 22' SC to make it
easier to hinge.

Terry K

Robert or Karen Swarts

All of your responses are plausible, but I don't think any of them are
correct. The drop is 1/16" down as one moves forward along the tabernacle.
The foot itself is rebated in the middle to ensure good contact on the edges
and to shed water. The hinge, which is at the rear, requires no clearance. I
just don't know.

BS

self stepping my mast. rick General 25 August 9th 04 12:55 PM
self stepping my mast. rick ASA 25 August 9th 04 12:55 PM
Mystery Mast Keith General 1 July 11th 04 08:16 PM
Mast Problem Gafffer Crew 0 September 19th 03 08:10 AM
Quote from Sabresails Simple Simon ASA 75 September 9th 03 05:10 AM