Robert or Karen Swarts

Yes. In this case, the cast aluminum fitting on which the mast foot hinges
by means of a single pin, and on which the mast rests when it is stepped.

BS

"ddinc" wrote in message
Can you define a tabernackle?

Mast step?

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
The bottom of the mast foot is flat, but if you drew a line in the fore
and aft direction along the center of the tabernacle, it would step
downwards about 1/16" halfway along. Why would anyone design a
mast/foot/tabernacle to rest on only the aft half of the foot? I have
come up with no good reason thus far.

BS

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
Can't remember what kind of boat but i remember one builder/rigger who
deliberately cut the bottom of his mast tubes a liitle on the bias so
that the bottom panel of the mast was encouraged to bow forward under
compression.
Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

I have unstepped the mast on my Coronado 25 and noticed that the mast
foot is flat in the fore and aft direction, but the tabernacle is
stepped down about 1/16" at the middle of the footprint of the foot.
Anyone know why this is? Was there originally a spacer of
some sort between the forward bottom of the foot and the tabernacle? Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Bob Swarts