rick

Default self stepping my mast.

I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick

Scout

I've stepped my mast by myself, but it was a bitch (and my mast is only 27
ft). The range you mention is the worst too, because that is where I must
step up from the cockpit to the cabin deck - not easy. And until the mast is
nearly erect, the side stays are too loose to offer any side to side
support.
The best system I've found is using two people (minimum). I leave all but
the forestay connected. I extend the boom support line with a temporary
line fitted with a quick disconnect, and have the second person stand at the
bumper of my truck and keep tension on that line, which helps to lift the
mast and gives me the chance to step up on the cabin deck without the full
weight of the mast on my shoulder. I also carry two truck ramps, and while
I'm rigging, I back the trailer up the ramps, which tilts the boat slightly
'downhill' and lets gravity help to hold the mast in place while we secure
the forestay.
All in all, it's a pita, and the reason I keep the boat in a marina.
You might look into the mast raising system the Mac26 uses, perhaps you can
adapt the idea to fit your needs.
http://www.macgregor26.com/mast_raising.htm
Scout

"rick" wrote in message
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick

Bob

I have a MAC 26 with the mast raising kit. It works very well and one person
can safely raise and lower the mast easily and stress free on the trailer or
on the water. It is a very simple inexpensive system. I think it would be
easy to replicate. A great advantage is being able to stop at any time to
straighten out a twisted shroud line. I have the boat on the trailer in
Ottawa if you would like to see the system they use contact me through my
email.
Bob
(delete "remove" in the email address)

"rick" wrote in message
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick

Our sailboat is much smaller, a Catalina 22, but here's how we do it.

We've expanded a bit on the procedure "Scout" uses (below). We run a =
line
from another winch on the trailer bow post to the jib halyard. This line
goes through a block at the top of an extension to the trailer's bow =
post.
The extension places the block 13' off the ground thus providing a much
improved angle when the mast is nearly horizontal.

Mast raising is very quick and with minimal overhead because the trailer
extension is permanent and always ready to go. I'm not sure this system
will work for your much larger boat. But we sure like it and use it =
almost
every week (and we're mid to upper 60's).

Good luck,

LB

"rick" wrote in message
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can =

wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the =

mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a =

tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree =

angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the =

forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick

Matt Colie

Rick,

You have included no hint what the boat is. Is the mast stepped on deck
or the keel?

There is a good chance that you could find help here or in the sailnet
builder or boat specific groups.

Someone in the S2 group trails his 9.2 and steps the mast with the boom
as a ginpole. I use the spinnaker pole on mine. Both of these boats
step on deck.

The disadvantage of using the boom and raising the the mast from forward
of the step is that there is less boat to stand on. Actually, the only
thing I have to undo is the head stay. The boat has swept spreaders.

You don't need a galvanized trailer to shore launch, but you do need to
pay attention to the running gear that has to go swiming - like the
brakes and bearings. If the lightbulds are not not in silicon grease
(dielectric grease from the carparts store), they are probably lost
cause already.

A tabernacle is a good word for the big things that many boats used to
have, but a hinge step may be all you need and the company the did the
spars may already have one for that section.

If I can be any more help, I'm here alot.

Fair Wind and Smooth Sea

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

rick wrote:
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick

d parker

Assuming you are strong enough to lift your mast from near the step is isn't
that hard.

Firstly prepare a spinnaker or jib halyard by fastening it to the bow of the
boat

Raise the mast and while pushing into it with your shoulders, tension and
secure the other end of halyard.

The Halyard will hold the mast in place while you go forward and secure the
forestay.
Simple!!

(This will not work on rigs that launch with the mast over the bow though)

Practice it with a buddy onboard a few times just in case.

DP
"rick" wrote in message
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick

wildman

Hi Rick -- I've had good luck with a spring-type mast raiser instead
of a gin pole. It might apply to your boat as well. Here's a link to
a discussion on another board. if you're interested, email me and I
can supply more details/pics. == Paul ==

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/...x.cgi/read/207

"rick" wrote in message ...
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick

Flying Tadpole

Default Hi DP!

where's ya bin?

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Henpecked? Harrassed? Harangued? Join the chorus:
http://music.download.com/internetopera
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com
katysails

Hi from me, too....have you healed all your aches and woes? You back
sailing yet?

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

DSK

OY DP! Welcome back, dude!

d parker wrote:
Assuming you are strong enough to lift your mast from near the step is isn't
that hard.

One problem I haven't seen any of the others address is the mast falling
sideways when trying to raise it. Our trailerable boat had a 26' mast
with a rolled-up jib, I could lift it by hand but the tricky part was
making the step up from the bridge deck to the coach roof.

Our boat had a set of side babystays which I rarely used. These were
secrued to loops on the lifeline stanchions so tha they were in line
with the mast step pivot. I think that for boats without this feature, a
loop of line on each side of th emast could serve the same function.

Run a loop from somewhere not too far up the mast, like maybe the
spinnaker pole hoop, to a block on the gunwhale forward of the mast
step, then to another block the same distance aft of the mast step. Put
another identical loop on the other side. Now the mast is free to pivot
up and down but cannot fall side to side. You could use a ratchet block
to help get it up.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM
Mast down (long) Peter S/Y Anicula ASA 1 July 1st 03 12:05 AM