Simple Simon

Default Quote from Sabresails

Sabresails responded to my query with:

"The prices and information that you requested follow.
We offer a wide range of sails that are competitive with
any sailmaker in the world today. We look forward to
your reply and appreciate the opportunity to serve you
and your sailing requirements.

"Thank you for considering Sabre Sails!!

"Type of boat: Coronado 27

"MAIN

"P = 27.00
"E = 9.50

"Premium Bluewater: Challenge Cloth 6.18 oz:$693.28

"Performance Plus: Dimension Cloth 6.0 oz:$812.84
"Contender Cloth 6.4 oz: $839.91

"Full Battens:$172.95
2+2 Battens:$90.00
1st reef kit(includes 2ply from clew to reef and cunningham): $178.75
Standard/Additional reefs (each): $85.80
Sunbrella Sail Cover:$315.00
Numbers: $.65 per inch/per number
Logo: $65.00
Draft Stripes(each): $13.00

"HEADSAIL

"I =32.4
J =10.75
Lp = 100%

"Premium Bluewater Challenge Cloth 6.18 oz:$599.37

"Performance Plus: Dimension Cloth 6.0 oz:$740.65
Contender Cloth 6.4 oz:$773.96

"Suncover:
Uv Insignia:$158.96
Uv Dacron/Sunbrella:$274.58
Sail numbers: $.65 per inch/per number
Draft Stripes(each): $13.00
Blade battens (each): $45.50
Roller battens (each): $65.00
Telltale Windows (each): $45.50
Foam Luff:$93.28"

Sabresails prices don't compare with Honk Kong Sails
or Sailwarehouse.

S.Simon - a Captain who shops smart

CANDChelp

Sabresails responded to my query with:

"The prices and information that you requested follow.
We offer a wide range of sails that are competitive with

A guy with an Endeavor 32 bought a set from Sabresails and they were pulling
apart after two seasons!
Good luck, Smart shopper!

Bwahahahahaaha!

RB
felton

Cappy...

Have you checked the pricing by Sailnet/Air Force Sails?
They are in your part of the world and have a pretty sophisticated
sail pricing web site. I don't have any first hand knowledge of their
sails, other than they seem *much* cheaper than the North Sails I have
purchased in the past. If money is an issue, you could just motor
around with the sail cover on like Bob and just tell people you have a
serviceable mainsail

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:55:55 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

[...]

Thom Stewart

Neal,

I know it is up to you but I think a cruising main should be 8 oz.

By the way. I'm very, very happy with the free foot.

OT

Kelton Joyner

Default free foot main

Thom,
I just got a new North Sails free foot main. Haven't had a change to
take it out yet. Do you notice any difference in sail trim or
performance with the free foot vs attached foot?
Kelton
s/c Isle Escape

Thom Stewart wrote:
Neal,

I know it is up to you but I think a cruising main should be 8 oz.

By the way. I'm very, very happy with the free foot.

OT

Thom Stewart

Kel,

When it comes to seeing the "TRIM" the free foot has it all over the
closed foot.

I've been very pleased! You can read even the slightest trim adjustment
real easy. That goes for halyard tension, Outhaul tension, Vang tension.
The draw string on the main foot is very effective as is the Leech Draw
string.

I have the full batten main and the set up on the North is far superior
to the UK battens.

I haven't had a good chance to try the sail in Hvy Air but I have no
dought of the sail's performance. Should know in a week or two (Now that
we're on the winter side of Labor Day)

Kel, let me know how you find the sail and the ease of trimming. I 'm
developing the habit of watching the curve of the free foot. It's such a
"kick in the ass" to see the speed of the trimming in the lower part of
the sail.

Ole Thom

Simple Simon

Thom,

So, you're willing to sacrifice or compromise performance induced
by greater end vortex creation with its attendant drag in exchange
for seeing the 'trim'.

Not a very good exchange in my opinion. I would rather have the
shelf foot and install a few more yarn telltales to see the air flow
over the sail.

But yours is the typical case of 'overcompensation'. You screwed
up and forgot to specify a shelf foot for your sail and rather than
admit your mistake you engage in a cover up. You are as much
as saying, "I meant to do that".

S.Simon

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thom Stewart

Neal,

I've thought of that self but I don't think that is the case.

I really think I like the free footed sail better. You should know me
well enough by now to know that for the cost of installing a shelve if I
thought it was better there would be shelve on that sail.

I don't think it would be better! Neal, I don't think I lose that much
in performance, if any at all. It is a better sail, in my mind, right
now. I'll sail it this way for now. If I find anything as I sail it, I
will add the shelve. I don't think it will happen.

There is also a third option. As I really get to know the sail, I may
add the shelve and if I don't see an improvement I'll take it off. This
is the option that is the one that I'm considering the most right now.

SAIL LOCO

When it comes to seeing the "TRIM" the free foot has it all over the
closed foot.

By "free foot" I assume you guys mean loose foot. A loose foot does not have
it all over a main with an optional shelf foot. Loose footed mainsails are
pushed today by sailmakers because they are easier and cheaper to build. The
usual 3 pitches a sailmaker makes to the customer is 1. that when sailing
downwind the outhaul can be eased more to make the sail deeper 2. there is a
little more unrated sail area and 3. the outhaul might be easier to work since
there is no foot bolt rope or slugs to add friction. My problem with a loose
footed main is your in a bind when the one and only slug at the clew breaks. I
just bought a new main this past spring and I was given the loose foot pitch
but I opted for a shelf foot. And I race.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
DSK

SAIL LOCO wrote:

.... My problem with a loose
footed main is your in a bind when the one and only slug at the clew breaks.

And with a shelf foot, do you honestly expect the foot bolt rope to hold the sail
if the clew slug breaks?? Sorry, but it ain't gonna!

just bought a new main this past spring and I was given the loose foot pitch
but I opted for a shelf foot. And I race.

The only reason to have a shelf foot is if it's mandated by one-design rules OR you
get a rating hit for a loose foot. The shelf adds nothing to the sail except a
place to catch rain water. But a lot of people like them better, just like a lot of
people liked gaff rigs better (and swore they were faster, stronger, etc etc) back
in the days when Marconi rigs were newfangled.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King