Glenn Ashmore

Default Clearance on cabinetwork?

Just put the finishing touches on the forward stateroom. The last thing was
a 6 drawer stack. Stainless full extention slides with push-pull latches.
Perfectly aligned with an even 1/32" clearance around all the drawer faces.
As I was admiring my work I suddenly remembered that this is a boat! Things
move!

Now I am worried that once Rutu is in the water and has tension on the
rigging if the frame racks even a little I will never get the drawers open
again. I am thinking I should plane the drawer faces down a little but how
much allowance should I give for movement?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:43:40 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Just put the finishing touches on the forward stateroom. The last thing was
a 6 drawer stack. Stainless full extention slides with push-pull latches.
Perfectly aligned with an even 1/32" clearance around all the drawer faces.
As I was admiring my work I suddenly remembered that this is a boat! Things
move!

Now I am worried that once Rutu is in the water and has tension on the
rigging if the frame racks even a little I will never get the drawers open
again. I am thinking I should plane the drawer faces down a little but how
much allowance should I give for movement?

With your usual attention to detail, you ensured the stack was
supported on three hard points, and tethered compliantly with perhaps
three somewhat flexible tethers.
You did didn't you?
If not, a shakedown trip will confirm the stiffness of the hull.

Brian W
Johnno_d

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Just put the finishing touches on the forward stateroom. The last thing was
a 6 drawer stack. Stainless full extention slides with push-pull latches.
Perfectly aligned with an even 1/32" clearance around all the drawer faces.
As I was admiring my work I suddenly remembered that this is a boat! Things
move!

Now I am worried that once Rutu is in the water and has tension on the
rigging if the frame racks even a little I will never get the drawers open
again. I am thinking I should plane the drawer faces down a little but how
much allowance should I give for movement?

Glenn
With cabinetmaking, even on land you have to allow something for
movement in the wood. The extent, if any, that the carcase will lozenge
(go out of square) once the boat is rigged and underway will depend on
how it is fitted into the frames of the boat. Probably the only way to
get the accuracy of fit that you desire is to use false fronts on the
drawers and adjust/plane these to fit once the boat is rigged and in the
water.

HTH

Johnno
William R. Watt

Maybe if the drawer front backs were tapered they would still fit if
the cabinet goes a bit out of square, like a cork in a wine bottle.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Silent Running

wrote:

Just put the finishing touches on the forward stateroom. The last thing was
a 6 drawer stack. Stainless full extention slides with push-pull latches.
Perfectly aligned with an even 1/32" clearance around all the drawer faces.
As I was admiring my work I suddenly remembered that this is a boat! Things
move!

Now I am worried that once Rutu is in the water and has tension on the
rigging if the frame racks even a little I will never get the drawers open
again. I am thinking I should plane the drawer faces down a little but how
much allowance should I give for movement?

Even on dry land 1/32 is a bit tight for drawers, everything moves and
settles a little even with drawer slides. Depending on the boat cradle
you may find the boat flexing and relaxing even without rig tension
when the hull is launched and the hull is fully supported. It depends
on how much of the cabinet supporting the drawers relies upon the
hull for stability. Normally you can taper the sides of the drawer
front a little but be prepared to refix the drawer slides later on
because if the whole cabinet flexes out of line, then no matter how
expensive the slides are they will bind enough to cause wear.
and tear to themselves.
In fact I hate the blasted things, a loose fitting drawer on runners
with a bit of parrafin wax suits me better but then I just hate
progress!

I think the mass production boys leave a gap of around 3mm in cabinet
work. Seems ok to me and I'm a furniture maker. A boat is not a
chateau, but then that's just my opinion.

Lew Hodgett

Silent Running writes:

Even on dry land 1/32 is a bit tight for drawers, everything moves and
settles a little even with drawer slides.

Yep.

snip

In fact I hate the blasted things, a loose fitting drawer on runners
with a bit of parrafin wax suits me better but then I just hate
progress!

No matter how you do it, drawers and doors are high maintenance items on a
boat.

I like bins and drapes.

Less weight, less maintenance, and better air circulation.

A boat is not a chateau, but then that's just my opinion.

I'll drink to that.

Lew

Terry Spragg

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Just put the finishing touches on the forward stateroom. The last thing was
a 6 drawer stack. Stainless full extention slides with push-pull latches.
Perfectly aligned with an even 1/32" clearance around all the drawer faces.
As I was admiring my work I suddenly remembered that this is a boat! Things
move!

Now I am worried that once Rutu is in the water and has tension on the
rigging if the frame racks even a little I will never get the drawers open
again. I am thinking I should plane the drawer faces down a little but how
much allowance should I give for movement?

Take the drawers out before launch, put them in after a hard sail,
trim to fit. I would just go for 1/4" clearance and not worry.
Beautiful form always follows function.

Don't forget, humidity + wood = fatter wood.

Terry K

Lew Hodgett

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Just put the finishing touches on the forward stateroom. The last
thing was
a 6 drawer stack. Stainless full extention slides with push-pull
latches.
Perfectly aligned with an even 1/32" clearance around all the drawer
faces.
As I was admiring my work I suddenly remembered that this is a boat!
Things
move!

Now I am worried that once Rutu is in the water and has tension on the
rigging if the frame racks even a little I will never get the drawers
open
again. I am thinking I should plane the drawer faces down a little
but how
much allowance should I give for movement?

One of the better arguments I've seen for not having drawers on a boat.

An even better argument for using slide out baskets and drapes.

Less weight, better ventilation, more usable space, etc, etc.

Lew