Spear Chucky

Default Another trailer light question

I replaced the lights and wiring harness on the trailer with LEDs. I
connected the side and rear clearance light wire (not replaced, coming out
the tail-end of the driver side) to the hot wire so there's 3 wires
connected in one cap and the two green/ground wires in the other cap.
Everything works fine.

I disconnected all the clearance lights from its wire thinking it would pull
out with the old wire harness. Now that salt can get into the clearance wire
from the cuts from the 'saddlebag' connectors, will the tail lights still
work after it corrodes?

I know the clearance lights are required at night but very rarely do we get
caught out after dark.

Is the clearance wire for all the side lights not part of the wiring harness
I got with the new light kit?

CB

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:35:58 -0400, "Spear Chucky"
wrote:

I replaced the lights and wiring harness on the trailer with LEDs. I
connected the side and rear clearance light wire (not replaced, coming out
the tail-end of the driver side) to the hot wire so there's 3 wires
connected in one cap and the two green/ground wires in the other cap.
Everything works fine.

I disconnected all the clearance lights from its wire thinking it would pull
out with the old wire harness. Now that salt can get into the clearance wire
from the cuts from the 'saddlebag' connectors, will the tail lights still
work after it corrodes?

I know the clearance lights are required at night but very rarely do we get
caught out after dark.

Is the clearance wire for all the side lights not part of the wiring harness
I got with the new light kit?

In most trailer wiring schemes, the clearance lights are spliced into
the parking lights line - they don't have a separate wire other than
the positive lead - the ground is the frame of the trailer and the
clearance light.

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
CCred68046

Is the clearance wire for all the side lights not part of the wiring harness
I got with the new light kit?

They just splice in but you are correct, every splice is another point for
corrosion failure.
What I do is run a wire from the side light BACK to the tail light and connect
them all together with one crimp connector. Then put a dab of silicone on each
end of the connector to seal it. It takes a little extra time and wire but it
works for years.