Esox Lucius

Default Trailer Light Flasher Murdered by Screwed Up Tail Light?

Spent the afternoon trying to figure out why the turn signals don't work on
my right side trailer light. The bulb lights when the truck's headlights are
on, but not when the right signal is on. The Y-arranged flasher unit
(aftermarket) picks up just one wire from the truck's tail light, and my
test light flashed when I test at that connection, but not AFTER the flasher
module (Hoppy brand, from Hopkins).

Meanwhile, back at the trailer...on the right side, I found that the bulb's
terminals had come loose from the bulb itself when I twisted it out of the
socket. I'm wondering if electrical shenanigans could've caused the failure
of the flasher unit. It that's NOT likely, I'd look for another brand, since
this one lasted all of 1 year, or 5 months of actual use, since we have 6-7
months of winter here.

Budd Cochran

Is this one of those modules to convert a separate turn / brake lights
system (tow vehicle) to work a combined turn / brake trailer?

I have one for my LeBaron and utility trailer and one I'm thinking of using
for making combined lighting on my old Cushman motorscooter ( maybe car
drivers won't crowd me at stop lights with more brake lights)

Budd

"Esox Lucius" wrote in message
[...]

Budd Cochran

"Esox Lucius" wrote in message
"Budd Cochran" wrote in message
Is this one of those modules to convert a separate turn / brake lights
system (tow vehicle) to work a combined turn / brake trailer?

Yes, it is.

Oh boy. . . . .

I just bought three from J.C. Whitney ($10 each) and used one, like I said,
on my utility trailer. I was going to use a second to give my Cushman
car-like turn / stop, but now I'm not sure. Going to independent turn lamps
is just a matter of running a couple wires and use a couple inexpensive
beehive lens clearance lamps from an auto parts store.

That type of bulb damage is common for bulbs that receive thermal shocks,
like immersion, so might want to disconnect your lights before launching.
Age of the bulb is also a factor.

Another possibility is to go to LED style lights as they generate very
little heat. The module, if you keep it, should provide the proper flasher

HTH

Budd

Esox Lucius

[...]

Yeah...I'm thinking of going the LED route. I've found some online whose
insides are completely potted - encased in a poured-in epoxy. That should do
the trick.

Budd Cochran

"Esox Lucius" wrote in message
news

Yeah...I'm thinking of going the LED route. I've found some online whose
insides are completely potted - encased in a poured-in epoxy. That should

do
the trick.

If you think I can be of further help, just remove the spam from my email
address. I've done quite a bit of trailer wiring.

Budd