Johnno_d

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Just put the finishing touches on the forward stateroom. The last thing was
a 6 drawer stack. Stainless full extention slides with push-pull latches.
Perfectly aligned with an even 1/32" clearance around all the drawer faces.
As I was admiring my work I suddenly remembered that this is a boat! Things
move!

Now I am worried that once Rutu is in the water and has tension on the
rigging if the frame racks even a little I will never get the drawers open
again. I am thinking I should plane the drawer faces down a little but how
much allowance should I give for movement?

Glenn
With cabinetmaking, even on land you have to allow something for
movement in the wood. The extent, if any, that the carcase will lozenge
(go out of square) once the boat is rigged and underway will depend on
how it is fitted into the frames of the boat. Probably the only way to
get the accuracy of fit that you desire is to use false fronts on the
drawers and adjust/plane these to fit once the boat is rigged and in the
water.

HTH

Johnno