Adam

Default marine refrigerator

I'm planning to install small refrigerator on my boat - ~4cu.ft.

This kind of household appliance is about $100, marine refrigerator is about
$800

What makes different almost $700?

Adam

Phil

"Adam" wrote in message ...
I'm planning to install small refrigerator on my boat - ~4cu.ft.

This kind of household appliance is about $100, marine refrigerator is

about
$800
What makes different almost $700?
Adam

Stainless steel coils? Sealed contacts on the door switch to prevent sparks
? Not sure but a $700 saving sounds tempting.

Peggie Hall

Adam wrote:
I'm planning to install small refrigerator on my boat - ~4cu.ft.

This kind of household appliance is about $100, marine refrigerator is about
$800

What makes different almost $700?

At least one of the reasons is, marine versions are "dual voltage."
Household refrigerators can only use 115vAC power, requiring a
connection to shore power, generator or external inverters in the boat's
electrical system. Marine/rv versions have the necessary circuitry,
inverters etc built in to use either 115v or 12v/DC power. Whether
that's enough to account for all of the price difference may be
debatable. Whether the ability to run a refrigerator off your boat's
house battery while away from the dock is worth that much extra money is
up to you.

--
Peggie
----------

Adam

Thanks Peggie;
To adopt this for dual voltage is not a problem and it cost less than $100
Still looking for $600
Adam
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
[...]

MonteP

"Adam" wrote in :

I'm planning to install small refrigerator on my boat - ~4cu.ft.

This kind of household appliance is about $100, marine refrigerator is
about $800

What makes different almost $700?

Adam

Do not look for these type items at marine suppliers. Go instead to RV
suppliers and outlets. Used RV outfits are good places as they usually
have a few 'wreckers' they sell the pieces and parts from. You'll find
the RV refidgerators generally adequate for marine use.

--
MonteP
"Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain." -

rhys

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:16:54 -0400, "Adam" wrote:

Thanks Peggie;
To adopt this for dual voltage is not a problem and it cost less than $100
Still looking for $600

Well, Koolatron and Coleman and a few others make front-opening
Peltier coolers that run on 12 V or 115 V AC via an included adapter
for well under $200. I got a 32 quart model I stash under the V-berth
that holds about 40 cans of "beverage" for $99. I clean it out when
(as occasionally happens) frost forms, but generally I leave it on
unless I'm sailing, at which point I wrap a Mylar blanket and a
sleeping bag around it. Keeps the beer cold until the next shore power
outlet OR I can always run it off the 12 VDC at 3-4 amps.

The bonus is that most of them can be used as food/drink warmers by
reversing the plugs...nothing like hot sake when working under the
tarp here in Toronto in February...brrrrr!

Top-loading is better...how badly do you need the single tray of ice
cubes a tiny fridge can produce?
John Cassara

RV units are often have three power options, 12v/120v/propane. The propane
side is an open flame so don't atempt to use it or spend extra because it
there. Look for the dual power only units.

MonteP wrote in message
.. .
"Adam" wrote in :

I'm planning to install small refrigerator on my boat - ~4cu.ft.

This kind of household appliance is about $100, marine refrigerator is
about $800

What makes different almost $700?

Adam

Do not look for these type items at marine suppliers. Go instead to RV
suppliers and outlets. Used RV outfits are good places as they usually
have a few 'wreckers' they sell the pieces and parts from. You'll find
the RV refidgerators generally adequate for marine use.

--
MonteP
"Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain." -
Friedrich von Schiller
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the depths
of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian
-=The answer is simple...send pretzels to the Whitehouse!=-

P.C. Ford

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:16:54 -0400, "Adam" wrote:

Thanks Peggie;
To adopt this for dual voltage is not a problem and it cost less than $100
Still looking for $600
Adam

Whatever is your point? Are you saying the marine materials are
overpriced? Ah, now there's a man with an keen eye for insight.

You are comparing a domestic 'fridge which exists in a highly
competitive, highly efficient marketplace to a marine 'fridge which
has neither. Oh, and the construction is different.

But hey, put the unit from your local discount appliance dealer on
your boat. Good luck to you.

Oh, and I suppose you can buy parts for your boat at the auto parts
store for 1/10 the price. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've
heard these lines.

Keith Hughes

Adam,

Despite snide assertions to the contrary, garden variety Home Depot /
Target type fridges work fine, and hold up well in a boat - depending on
your specific needs. We used one for 12 years in a SJ26, and it was
going strong when we sold it. Some surface rust, but what the heck. We
did use it only on 110vac, however, and you can pretty much count on the
inexpensive units being quite inefficient. Not the route you want to
take if you plan to run on DC for extended periods. Evaluate your
usage, then look at the relative power consumptions and determine which
will meet *your* needs. You may have to spend the bucks to get the best
solution to your needs, and you may not. If you need the DC option, RV
supply houses are a good place for mid-priced units, as previously
suggested. Good luck.

Keith Hughes

P.C. Ford wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:16:54 -0400, "Adam" wrote:

Thanks Peggie;
To adopt this for dual voltage is not a problem and it cost less than $100
Still looking for $600
Adam

Whatever is your point? Are you saying the marine materials are
overpriced? Ah, now there's a man with an keen eye for insight.

You are comparing a domestic 'fridge which exists in a highly
competitive, highly efficient marketplace to a marine 'fridge which
has neither. Oh, and the construction is different.

But hey, put the unit from your local discount appliance dealer on
your boat. Good luck to you.

Oh, and I suppose you can buy parts for your boat at the auto parts
store for 1/10 the price. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've
heard these lines.

Pete C

Hi,

An 'A' rated counter top fridge costs £100 in the UK and uses
100kWh/yr. With a bit of extra insulation it should be possible to
reduce this further

If you already have batteries and a means to charge them it might be
cheaper to invest part of the money saved in a better setup.

cheers,
Pete.

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
ANNOUNCE: Steerage Marine - All Africa Marine Search Engine in South Africa [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 18th 04 09:08 AM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM