Mike P

Default Ducatti air-cooled diesel

Does anyone have any information at all about the single cylinder
air-cooled diesels? The only reference I can find is an old posting
from someone who "made the mistake of fitting one.." ! Sounds
ominous.
JAXAshby

Ducati is a division of Fiat.

'nuf said.

The only reference I can find is an old posting
from someone who "made the mistake of fitting one.." ! Sounds
ominous.

rhys

There's a Ducati motorbike dealership near me that seems to specialize
in high-end racer-type machines. I had no clue they made air-cooled
diesels, the last one of which I heard of in a private yacht being the
Lister, I believe, and you rarely see them, although I believe they
were reliable "big iron", like Ford Lehman and Perkins..

I would imagine the spares make Volvo look like Perkins G

R.

On 30 Aug 2004 03:26:21 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

Ducati is a division of Fiat.

'nuf said.

The only reference I can find is an old posting
from someone who "made the mistake of fitting one.." ! Sounds
ominous.

dbraun

Others have already posted some negatives about aircooled engines in boats,
but many of those negatives can be overcome.

Exhaust smoke/smell/ noise can be overcome by running the exhaust through
a water lift. The lift won't actually spit out any water, but if you fill
it up and clean it out occaisionally, it will filter the soot and cut down
on the noise

Modern injected light weight aircooled diesels seem to run much cooler
than some of the earlier models from 40 years ago. It should be possible
to run a bilge fan off the power output of a flywheel style alternator
which would exchange enough air for at least an hour's worth of operation
in even a small enclosed engine compartment.

My assumption is that aircooled is attractive to you on the basis of price
and that you have a limited volume in which to fit an engine. I also
assume that you intend to use it as a true auxillary in a sailboat, i.e.
you do not intend to do any extended motoring, you just want to maneuver
out of congested harbors. That said, you would be ill advised to use
anything from Ducati based upon initial cost and the price of repair
parts. I would suggest the following engine:

http://launtop.com/ebusiness/en/prod...5&productid=40

The LA186 is 10 hp and the last time I priced one out (before the dollar
tanked) the price was USD$250 FOB China. These guys actually make all the
aircooled diesels for Yanmar. These are the same engines that you see on
construction equipment like whacker packers (tampers for trench work).
They are very reliable and you can get parts from any Yanmar dealer
worldide. The price you pay for a whole engine is less than you would pays
for a baggie of bolts from a Ducati dealer. These engines also have a lot
of output shaft options allowing you to choose one that can easily mate to
whatever trani you have been able to find.

Let us know how it works out for you

David
S/V Nausicaa

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:01:45 -0400, rhys wrote:

There's a Ducati motorbike dealership near me that seems to specialize
in high-end racer-type machines. I had no clue they made air-cooled
diesels, the last one of which I heard of in a private yacht being the
Lister, I believe, and you rarely see them, although I believe they
were reliable "big iron", like Ford Lehman and Perkins..

The dude schooner Shenandoah, out of Vineyard Haven MA, uses a Lister
Diesel each morning to hose the pine decks with salt water, charge the
batteries, and wake the passengers.

It is very effective in the third task. I don't think a dead passenger
would be impervious. :-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

We have achieved faith-based science,
faith-based economics, faith-based law
enforcement, and faith-based missile
defense.
What's next? Faith-based air traffic control?
Silverton 31'

"dbraun" wrote in message alkaboutboats.com...
[...]

To the person who said ducati is a part of fiat, learn about Italian
Motorsports. Ferrari is a division of fiat, not ducati.
JAXAshby

To the person who said ducati is a part of fiat, learn about Italian
Motorsports. Ferrari is a division of fiat, not ducati.

I appologize for not checking current sources. Ducati *was* a division of
Fiat. 'nuf said.
Jeff

To the person who said ducati is a part of fiat, learn about Italian
Motorsports. Ferrari is a division of fiat, not ducati.

Well,.... you might want to check that before jumping in, it's not that
simple. Ducati Motorcycles, who also make small industrial engines is
Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. They are a significant part of the Aprilia
Group, which includes Aprilla, Moto Guzzi, etc.
The Aprilia group until very recently where majority owned by Agnelli.
Agnelli also owns 30% of Fiat. Fiat own Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and
Ferrari.

Fiat are linked to Ducati as much as Ford is to Aston Martin,Jaguar,
Volvo, Mazda and Hertz etc.

UK red diesel costs. Ken Baker Cruising 19 June 8th 04 11:36 PM
Old diesel fuel - two questions Al Gunther Cruising 2 May 30th 04 01:15 PM
uk diesel costs Ken Baker Power Boat Racing 0 May 25th 04 02:41 PM
WTB: Diesel Engine 10 to 16 HP Water Cooled Running or NOT!!, OK Aluminumhullsailor Boat Building 0 September 2nd 03 01:49 AM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM