posted to rec.boats.building

Default CAD - Sugestions

Affordable CAD software suggestion please. I would like to be able to
create a surface in CAD, bend it along a curve. Rotate it along an axis.
Trim it on two planes, and then flatten it back out to be able to get the
flat surface dimensions of the sheet in order to layout cutting in the real
world. Several affordable CAD programs (just about all 3D programs) can do
the first couple parts, but getting the exact flat sheet dimensions of the
resulting piece becomes problematic at best.

In article , Bob La Londe wrote:
Affordable CAD software suggestion please. I would like to be able to
create a surface in CAD, bend it along a curve. Rotate it along an axis.
Trim it on two planes, and then flatten it back out to be able to get the
flat surface dimensions of the sheet in order to layout cutting in the real
world. Several affordable CAD programs (just about all 3D programs) can do
the first couple parts, but getting the exact flat sheet dimensions of the
resulting piece becomes problematic at best.

I've seen DelftShip mentioned in several places. There is a free version
and, despite the fact that it appears to be for ships, there are quite a
few sailing boat designs and other small craft in the 'model database' -
to find the database go to Sitemap - Download - Model database.

URL:http://www.delftship.net/

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
posted to rec.boats.building

On di, 22 feb 2011 01:04:34 Justin C
) wrote:

I've seen DelftShip mentioned in several places. There is a free version
and, despite the fact that it appears to be for ships, there are quite a
few sailing boat designs and other small craft in the 'model database' -
to find the database go to Sitemap - Download - Model database.

URL:http://www.delftship.net/

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about this program before.
With this program it is indeed very easy to draw a model (made with the
free version):

http://qatsi.ath.cx/~ravdberg/hs880/delftship.jpg

--
Richard
e-mail: vervang/replace invalid door/with NL.net
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob La Londe[_3_] View Post
Affordable CAD software suggestion please. I would like to be able to
create a surface in CAD, bend it along a curve. Rotate it along an axis.
Trim it on two planes, and then flatten it back out to be able to get the
flat surface dimensions of the sheet in order to layout cutting in the real
world. Several affordable CAD programs (just about all 3D programs) can do
the first couple parts, but getting the exact flat sheet dimensions of the
resulting piece becomes problematic at best.
I have copies of both maxsurf and student solidworks. Pm me if you want a copy of one or both