posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Is there a way to import CAD drawing files (.dwg) into Fugawi?

We've been trying to test Fugawi 4.5 for the navigation system of some
boats we operate here but the problem is, plans used for route are in
dwg format in grid coordinates. Is there a way to import this file
directly to Fugawi or convert it first to a supported format. If
conversion is necessary, what software is available in the market for
this conversion (freeware/shareware/or for sale).

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

hydro_survey wrote:

We've been trying to test Fugawi 4.5 for the navigation system of some
boats we operate here but the problem is, plans used for route are in
dwg format in grid coordinates. Is there a way to import this file
directly to Fugawi or convert it first to a supported format. If
conversion is necessary, what software is available in the market for
this conversion (freeware/shareware/or for sale).

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

If the3 plans are geo-referenced (I think Fugawi wants either Lat/Lon
or UTM) then you could just plot to a raster file and import them with
the Fugawi Calibrate program. I have done this and it works fine.

Cheers,
Michael Porter
Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thanks.

How do i plot to a raster file? what are examples of raster files? Are
these the files on the CAD export list?
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Fri, 23 May 2008 17:32:07 -0700 (PDT), hydro_survey
wrote:

Thanks.

How do i plot to a raster file? what are examples of raster files? Are
these the files on the CAD export list?

A raster file is essentially a picture - common files types are .jpg,
..gif and .png.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Fri, 23 May 2008 02:05:17 -0700 (PDT), hydro_survey
wrote:

We've been trying to test Fugawi 4.5 for the navigation system of some
boats we operate here but the problem is, plans used for route are in
dwg format in grid coordinates. Is there a way to import this file
directly to Fugawi or convert it first to a supported format. If
conversion is necessary, what software is available in the market for
this conversion (freeware/shareware/or for sale).

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

If by "route" you mean a series of points (usually called "waypoints"
in GPS-ish), you will have to convert the coordinates you have for
each point to latitude and longitude to allow you to enter them in any
navigation program.

hydro_survey wrote:

Thanks.

How do i plot to a raster file? what are examples of raster files? Are
these the files on the CAD export list?

OK, my Acad is 2000i and things may have changed, but I suspect this
hasn't. You can configure a "plotter" to make a .jpg file of any
pspace layout. The process will want to know how many pixels in each
direction and the way to figure this out is to take say 150 dots/inch
times the numbe of inches your layout is each way.

Essentially, rather than exporting a CAD file, you are using the plot
process to make a picture of your drawing, which you can then import
into Fugawi.

I spoke too soon when I said Fugawi wanted either UTM or lat/lon -- it
is happy with any grid, but it is my handheld GPS that has the
restriction.

Hope this helps,
Michael Porter
Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com
posted to rec.boats.electronics

i have tried plotting to a jpg file and it worked. instead of
importing a file using the import map command, the calibrate map
option works well when dealing with jpg and other types of images.

thanks for the suggestions guys. im still trying to evalutaing the
accuracy though. having more than 3 reference points is good in making
sure that the map is oriented properly and there are less distortions
in scale.

by the way, what will i put in the scale option during the first part
of the calibration?
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hi,
In fugawi the scale option you put in does not matter. It is only for
your information. When looking for a larger/smaller scale chart fugawi looks
for the pixels/meter it has computed for itself.

Cheers
Oliver Fleming