Denis Marier

Default Need Jacks drawing.

I am looking a building some steel jacks to support sailboat for winter
storage.
I do not know if there is a universal standard or do they differs from boat
yard to boat yard.

TIA

Steve

Even though I have a weld shop and the ability to make boat stands, I prefer
to just purchase them ready made (or used )

The ones I have purchase (total of 9 stands) were all made by the same
outfit (can't help you with a name since the labels have long since
deteriorated).

I paid $75 each for a set of 4 new from the boat mover. One mover would
only give you $50 upon return. I just purchased a set of 5 from a friend who
used a different boat mover to launch her boat and he would only give her
$35. That is what I paid her for them.

The problem with building your own, is not the metal tubing so much, but the
Acme threaded rod, tee nut and swivel pad. You really need to be in the boat
stand business to come out ahead on these items.

If you know anyone who is getting ready to launch their project boat, ask
them about their boat stands. You could get a good deal.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jim Conlin

I think that the major producer is Brownell, in Mattapoisett, MA.
They are so inexpensive that it makes little sense to make 'em yourself. They
nest well so shipping a bunch isn't expensive, but shipping just a few is. Try
to find someone nearby who breaks bulk.

Steve wrote:

[...]

Steve

Yah! That name rings a bell.. Even though I'm out here in the Pac. NW. I
think that is who made mine.

I was a the SwanTown boat yard in Olympia and they had just recieved a large
number from Associated Boat Movers. So your best bet mab be to contact a
local boat move and ask about new or used boat stands. They seem to be the
point of contact around here.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Glenn Ashmore

I looked into building some but decided it was not worth the effort.
Hosta, Brownell, Keelco and others sell them for $50-$75 each and you
can find them used for half that.

1" Acme threaded rod cost about $10/foot and plane hex nust are $4 each.
Add the angle iron and you are close to the price of a used stand.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com