posted to rec.boats.building

Default do all (most?) epoxies bond to each other?

mx wrote:
Will all epoxies bond to one another? I have some West GFlex, which I
want to use thickened to fill a gap between two loosely-fit fiberglass
parts, and some System Three laminating resin (Clear Coat, I think, I
don't have it with me right now) that I then want to use with glass
tape to reinforce over the surface of the joint. Will the epoxies
bond well to each other, if the glass is applied within a few days of
the first resin?

Also, is colloidal silica and microballons the same? I have an old
bag of house-brand microballons from Fiberlay, and colloidal silica is
recommended as a thickener. I feel like I used to know the answer to
this...but, apparently, I'm an idiot!

Thanks,
Mike

epoxies are a universal primer and epoxy will stick to epoxy, but watch
out for amine blush. Some/most venders (like the ones you mention)
sell the bushing epoxies because they make more profit/ Blush can affect
the bond between layers.

fumed silica is a common thickener... microspheres are tiny hollow
spheres, very light and fine (comes in different densities) - thickens
the epoxy but acts like tiny ball bearings in the epoxy

paul oman - progressive epoxy polymers inc. www.epoxyproducts.com and
www.epoxyusa.com

posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
says...

mx wrote:
[...]

Has anyone mentioned that Balloons are more for filling and fairing,
Silica is more for structural work?

SmallBoats.com
posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 07:37:38 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"mx" wrote in message
Will all epoxies bond to one another? I have some West GFlex, which I
want to use thickened to fill a gap between two loosely-fit fiberglass
parts, and some System Three laminating resin (Clear Coat, I think, I
don't have it with me right now) that I then want to use with glass
tape to reinforce over the surface of the joint. Will the epoxies
bond well to each other, if the glass is applied within a few days of
the first resin?

Also, is colloidal silica and microballons the same? I have an old
bag of house-brand microballons from Fiberlay, and colloidal silica is
recommended as a thickener. I feel like I used to know the answer to
this...but, apparently, I'm an idiot!

There are not many things epoxy doesn't stick to.

And some things it doesn't really stick to at all. I have plastic
containers I've been mixing small batches of epoxy in for years. I let
the remaining epoxy in them cure comepletely and then hold the
container upside down over a wastebasket and flex it. All of the epoxy
pops right out, leaving a completely clean-as-new container.

I need some of those. I have been using plastic jars left over from other
things, and I just wind up throwing them away with each project. Been
thinking about getting some big bags of plastic beer cups for it since they
are so cheap.

wrote:

"mx" wrote in message
[...]

I used to use the graduated 1 quart containers generally sold in the
paint section of Home Depot or such. Later I found them at a small resin
distributor for about .23 a piece. Use them a dozen or so times until
they crack or get too scratched up and toss 'em. easier to pour into
than beer cups, wider, and easier to work and stir in, a paint stirrer
works great...
posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

wrote:

"mx" wrote in message
[...]

The plastic tubs that some overpriced cold cuts now come in also work
quite well. Low surface energy!

I also have plastic mixing blades for epoxy that you simply bend and
the cured epoxy flakes off. They continue to come clean until they get
scratched up.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2433&familyName=West+System+Pl astic+Mixing+Sticks

Ya'll mix bigger than I do!

I mix in paper bowls - and paper plates for Bondo.

These days they have a plastic coating (if any) instead of wax.

posted to rec.boats.building

I am Tosk wrote:
In article ,
says...
mx wrote:
[...]

Micro balloons come in two flavors - Phenolic and Glass.
Glass should not be used with Polyester resin.
But either can be used with epoxy.

I believe silica is just a thickening agent to help prevent
sagging on vertical surfaces.

Cotton make a great structural additive. Milled or stranded as needed.
Or even cotton balls sometimes.

Or wood flour, if you are working with wood.

Then there are the exotic fillers.
Aluminum dust, steel powder, carbon powder, etc.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:14:01 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"mx" wrote in message
[...]

I've been using cheap plastic mixing bowls. The cheapest seem to be
the best as they are made from a flimsy, flexible, material that is
easy to remove the hardened epoxy from. I also use paper coffee cups
for small batches - throwaway containers...
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

Mixing containers

I bought 5 qt poly containers from a local plastic mfg house that made
them for the food industry in lots of 200 pcs.

Smaller sizes (1 OX thru 32 OZ) were plastic coated papercups
purchased in sleeves of 100 pcs from a restaurant supply house.

Paint mixing sticks from Home Depot finished the job.

A Jiffy Mixer chucked up in a drill can't be beat for larger mixing
jobs.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:06:26 -0500, I am Tosk
wrote:

Has anyone mentioned that Balloons are more for filling and fairing,
Silica is more for structural work?

I prefer micro fibers for anything structural. They are tough to sand
but very strong.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:37:23 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

I mix in paper bowls - and paper plates for Bondo.

I hope you're not using the bondo on a boat. I've seen some disasters
from that. Epoxy and micro baloons are *much* better for fairing.

MI5, message to Bond, from NE Sailing .. NE Sailboat Cruising 4 December 1st 06 02:04 PM
Penetrating Epoxies in Deck Core Rot - Deck recoring Mic Cruising 0 August 30th 05 05:12 AM
Secondary bond? Rob Hart Boat Building 2 January 2nd 05 12:29 AM
Epoxies Brian McCafferty Boat Building 14 December 17th 03 03:33 AM
Will epoxy bond formica? Jim Conlin Boat Building 5 October 28th 03 04:14 AM