posted to rec.boats.building
max camirand max camirand is offline

Default do all (most?) epoxies bond to each other?

On Dec 8, 9:03*am, mx wrote:
Will all epoxies bond to one another? *I have some West GFlex, which I
want to use thickened to fill a gap between two loosely-fit fiberglass
parts, and some System Three laminating resin (Clear Coat, I think, I
don't have it with me right now) that I then want to use with glass
tape to reinforce over the surface of the joint. *Will the epoxies
bond well to each other, if the glass is applied within a few days of
the first resin?

Also, is colloidal silica and microballons the same? *I have an old
bag of house-brand microballons from Fiberlay, and colloidal silica is
recommended as a thickener. * I feel like I used to know the answer to
this...but, apparently, I'm an idiot!

Thanks,
Mike

Colloidal silica and microballoons aren't the same thing. Colloidal
silica will be harder to sand when cured. Microballoons are a lighter
filler.

As long as you give the first application of epoxy a wipe and a bit of
a sanding before you lay on the glass tape, it will bond.

-m