Brian McCafferty

Default Epoxies

I'm looking for opinions on what is the best Epoxy for general boat repair
and Cedar strip Canoe kits? I'm going to sell them on a website that has
been in existence for over 2 years and I am expanding the product line. I
won't mention the website because I don't want to spam this group or any
other group for that mater. I'm just looking for help in offering what is
best for the end user. I'm thinking of West Systems, MAS Epoxies, System 3
and RAKA Epoxies. Any help will be appreciated..

Thank you

Jacques Mertens

Put your web site link in your signature, that's not spam.
I like to see other people boats, built for profit or not.
--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Brian McCafferty" wrote in message
. com...
I'm looking for opinions on what is the best Epoxy for general boat repair
and Cedar strip Canoe kits? I'm going to sell them on a website that has
been in existence for over 2 years and I am expanding the product line. I
won't mention the website because I don't want to spam this group or any
other group for that mater. I'm just looking for help in offering what is
best for the end user. I'm thinking of West Systems, MAS Epoxies, System 3
and RAKA Epoxies. Any help will be appreciated..

Thank you

Backyard Renegade

"Brian McCafferty" wrote in message .com...
I'm looking for opinions on what is the best Epoxy for general boat repair
and Cedar strip Canoe kits? I'm going to sell them on a website that has
been in existence for over 2 years and I am expanding the product line. I
won't mention the website because I don't want to spam this group or any
other group for that mater. I'm just looking for help in offering what is
best for the end user. I'm thinking of West Systems, MAS Epoxies, System 3
and RAKA Epoxies. Any help will be appreciated..

Thank you

If you are going to sell kits, you should probably use the glue you
are currently using to build them. That way if the customer has a
question, you can answer it properly. Scotty
Lew Hodgett

"Brian McCafferty" writes:

I'm looking for opinions on what is the best Epoxy for general boat repair
and Cedar strip Canoe kits? I'm going to sell them on a website that has
been in existence for over 2 years and I am expanding the product line.

snip

When it comes to laminating resin, snot is snot, just stick with one
manufacturer.

If you expect to make any money, you buy 500 lb drums and repackage it
yourself.

There are only about 4-5 base resin suppliers in the world.

The money is not in the resin, it's in the hardeners.

Again, repackaging hardeners is where your money will be made.

Having said that, you now address a whole series of issues including
equipment, storage, liability, etc, which will impact your margins.

If you are going to sell kits, you also have to repackage fillers.

Good money if you do it right, but fillers are a basic PITA.

What about glass?

Repackage from rolls?

Don't forget, glass has a shelf life.

What about supplies? Disposable suits, gloves, spreaders, plastic buckets,
etc, etc.

Somebody has to sell them for these kits.

What about abrasives?

Somebody has to sell them for these kits.

I won't even go near the wood part of this project, but a similar series of
questions exist.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Time Walker

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:24:42 -0500, "Brian McCafferty"
wrote:

Dont Bother even considering raka their support is for ****

I sent them 5 emails for a price quote and got back exactly 0 replies
This is a digital age if you put an email address on your website you
better damn sure answer them or you will get NON-customers like me
who will NEVER buy from you

Rant mode on:
I dont care what kind of business it is if you are not going to
provide the service dont open the business even if your selling
widgets if you can't answer your email dont offer it as an option

Rant mode off

Praise mode on
One of the few places I have found lately that answers their email
answers even the stupid questions of the newbies is Jacques of
bateau.com .... he ships his plans out super fast sends out updates
if required and in general is there for his customers!!!!

praise mode off

I'm looking for opinions on what is the best Epoxy for general boat repair
and Cedar strip Canoe kits? I'm going to sell them on a website that has
been in existence for over 2 years and I am expanding the product line. I
won't mention the website because I don't want to spam this group or any
other group for that mater. I'm just looking for help in offering what is
best for the end user. I'm thinking of West Systems, MAS Epoxies, System 3
and RAKA Epoxies. Any help will be appreciated..

Thank you

Brian Nystrom

That's interesting, as everyone I know who's dealt with Raka has said
that Larry is very helpful and responsive. I've heard nothing but good
things about his products, too.

wrote:

Dont Bother even considering raka their support is for ****

I sent them 5 emails for a price quote and got back exactly 0 replies
This is a digital age if you put an email address on your website you
better damn sure answer them or you will get NON-customers like me
who will NEVER buy from you

Backyard Renegade

wrote:

Dont Bother even considering raka their support is for ****

I sent them 5 emails for a price quote and got back exactly 0 replies
This is a digital age if you put an email address on your website you
better damn sure answer them or you will get NON-customers like me
who will NEVER buy from you

One of the reasons they are hard to get a hold of is they are probably
out in the shop, actually using the goo they sell. Anyway, there have
been times when even on the phone Larry has been short with me, and
talking with them, I don't know that they spend a lot of time with
computers. That all being said, I have many reasons why I have bought
my goo exclusively from them for several years now. Scotty

[...]

Brian McCafferty

I guess I should have said I plan to offer Epoxies on my web site not Kits
for Canoes. I have been selling fiberglass, Kevlar, and Polyester and other
resins now in large and small quantities since 2001. My website is very
Familiar to most everyone here "I would assume" and its being redesigned
for a January of February launch date. I'll be offering Epoxies,
Abrasives, Safety Equipment, Laminating Tools, Chopper and Spray Guns,
Adhesives, Partall mold release Products and More..

I just wanted to know what you all thought would be a good epoxies to offer
on the new improved website.

The ones I've considered, without getting into pouring off from drums is
MAS, West, Raka and System 3. What do you guys think would be a good
general purpose Epoxies for Canoes and Boat repair.

I get a lot of people buying the plans elsewhere then buying the 60" cloth
from my company. I have been sending my glass customers elsewhere for
epoxies such as Raka. Now that I'll be offering epoxies to customer direct
I want to make sure that I have proven product that will satisfy my existing
customers and future ones. I want to make sure its a good reliable
product. I'm leaning towards MAS because of the low Viscosity and their
distributor pricing is
more attractive and should be lower in price for the end user. Any
Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
Brian

Jacques Mertens

"Backyard Renegade" wrote
wrote:

Dont Bother even considering raka their support is for ****

I sent them 5 emails for a price quote and got back exactly 0 replies
This is a digital age if you put an email address on your website you
better damn sure answer them or you will get NON-customers like me
who will NEVER buy from you

One of the reasons they are hard to get a hold of is they are probably
out in the shop, actually using the goo they sell. Anyway, there have
been times when even on the phone Larry has been short with me, and
talking with them, I don't know that they spend a lot of time with
computers. That all being said, I have many reasons why I have bought
my goo exclusively from them for several years now. Scotty

But we can do it.
We respond to our customers questions within a few hours, in writing, on our
message board:
http://66.70.13.66/phpBB2/index.php
Technical support should be included in the price and written support, with
pictures etc. is much better than phone calls.
PS: we are moving our tech. support web site today and some pages are down
but they will all re-appear before tomorrow.