posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

Default Alternatives for teak on exterior boat trim

I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?

posted to rec.boats.building

Teak decks look wonderful. All wooden decks looks great, even pitch pine. Nothing provides better sure footing than wood. The down
fall of all wooden decks is the maintenance and cost. The total cost of wooden deck ownership in comparison to steel, aluminum or
fiberglass can easily exceed 5 times over time. The best of the available woods is teak. All others will cost more in the end,
there is no free lunch. I am also certain many will disagree with me. I have a teak deck and I did it well. Ignore my advise at
your own risk. I can write a book on the lessons I have learned. Please don't respond to me about teak over the top of other
materials, that just makes the problems even worse.
Steve

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:40:35 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?

My own solution is Stainless Steel. In fact the motorboat I'm working
on right now has no wood exposed on the exterior of the boat.
Everything is painted fiberglass or stainless.

I sympathize with those who want the wood :because it "looks better"
and can only say that if you must have wood then be prepared to pay
for it; in both cash and labor.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:40:35 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?

My own solution is Stainless Steel. In fact the motorboat I'm working
on right now has no wood exposed on the exterior of the boat.
Everything is painted fiberglass or stainless.

I sympathize with those who want the wood :because it "looks better"
and can only say that if you must have wood then be prepared to pay
for it; in both cash and labor.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

The late model copied of my boat all had stainless steel grab rails
instead of teak. I'd trade in a heard beat if I could, because now
it's time to strip and refinish the wood...
posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:29:17 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
[...]

I (well, my wife) made covers for the grab rails on the cabin top and
keep them covered except for when we are actually sailing. IN addition
to that the sail boat has only the rail cap that is unpainted wood and
it is a matter, every year, of scrubbing it down and recoating it.

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Teak decks look wonderful. All wooden decks looks great, even pitch pine.
Nothing provides better sure footing than wood. The down fall of all
wooden decks is the maintenance and cost. The total cost of wooden deck
ownership in comparison to steel, aluminum or fiberglass can easily exceed
5 times over time. The best of the available woods is teak. All others
will cost more in the end, there is no free lunch. I am also certain many
will disagree with me. I have a teak deck and I did it well. Ignore my
advise at your own risk. I can write a book on the lessons I have learned.
Please don't respond to me about teak over the top of other materials,
that just makes the problems even worse.
Steve

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub
rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?

Thanks Steve,
I was more thinking for the plastic about hand rails, maybe toe and rub
rails for very run of the mill production small boats. Something I wouldn't
spend big teak bucks on.
For the cherry, I have a 40 year old little classic sail boat that I'm
wanting to replace all the topside wood on but don't want to have more into
a refit than the boat is worth. I haven't priced the lumber I need yet and
teak may work out or might go with one of the mahoganys. I don't care to
deal with a true hardwood or anything that isn't an attractive (to my eyes)
color.
I like teak decks, but they're not a first choice in FL.

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:40:35 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub
rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?

My own solution is Stainless Steel. In fact the motorboat I'm working
on right now has no wood exposed on the exterior of the boat.
Everything is painted fiberglass or stainless.

I sympathize with those who want the wood :because it "looks better"
and can only say that if you must have wood then be prepared to pay
for it; in both cash and labor.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I can make my own fittings just have to find the wood that fits my taste and
budget.
Getting custom stainless work done here would be painful ($$).

posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

If you want to stick with a real wood, but save a lot of money, I'd
recommend IPE. It is a LOT cheaper than teak, but holds up similarly
well in a marine environment.

Actually I was going to ask about Ipe but couldn't remember the name! I like
the look from the pics I've seen.
Thanks Salty.

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:26:45 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

A very good point - I do my own welding so my situation is similar,
except for being shiny :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Alternates to teak for boat exterior work mmc General 14 December 1st 09 06:34 PM
Refinishing teak trim Red Cruising 10 April 18th 07 05:06 AM
Refinishing teak trim Red Boat Building 8 April 11th 07 09:23 PM
Staining teak trim before varnishing? Wayne.B Boat Building 15 December 6th 06 05:01 PM
Teak Alternatives Jeff W Boat Building 1 October 8th 04 01:27 AM