posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Alternatives for teak on exterior boat trim

Teak decks look wonderful. All wooden decks looks great, even pitch pine. Nothing provides better sure footing than wood. The down
fall of all wooden decks is the maintenance and cost. The total cost of wooden deck ownership in comparison to steel, aluminum or
fiberglass can easily exceed 5 times over time. The best of the available woods is teak. All others will cost more in the end,
there is no free lunch. I am also certain many will disagree with me. I have a teak deck and I did it well. Ignore my advise at
your own risk. I can write a book on the lessons I have learned. Please don't respond to me about teak over the top of other
materials, that just makes the problems even worse.
Steve

"mmc" wrote in message g.com...
I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?