posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Alternatives for teak on exterior boat trim

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:29:17 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:40:35 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?

My own solution is Stainless Steel. In fact the motorboat I'm working
on right now has no wood exposed on the exterior of the boat.
Everything is painted fiberglass or stainless.

I sympathize with those who want the wood :because it "looks better"
and can only say that if you must have wood then be prepared to pay
for it; in both cash and labor.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

The late model copied of my boat all had stainless steel grab rails
instead of teak. I'd trade in a heard beat if I could, because now
it's time to strip and refinish the wood...

I (well, my wife) made covers for the grab rails on the cabin top and
keep them covered except for when we are actually sailing. IN addition
to that the sail boat has only the rail cap that is unpainted wood and
it is a matter, every year, of scrubbing it down and recoating it.