posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Alternatives for teak on exterior boat trim

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:26:45 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:40:35 -0500, "mmc" wrote:

I've heard cherry is a good alternative to teak and was wondering about
using the plastic deck lumber for things like handholds, toe and rub
rails.
Anyone here have experience with plastic lumber for exterior trim?

My own solution is Stainless Steel. In fact the motorboat I'm working
on right now has no wood exposed on the exterior of the boat.
Everything is painted fiberglass or stainless.

I sympathize with those who want the wood :because it "looks better"
and can only say that if you must have wood then be prepared to pay
for it; in both cash and labor.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I can make my own fittings just have to find the wood that fits my taste and
budget.
Getting custom stainless work done here would be painful ($$).

A very good point - I do my own welding so my situation is similar,
except for being shiny :-)