Jeff W

Default Teak Alternatives

I am going to be replacing and adding some extior wood to my
fiberglass sailboat and want to know if there are some other suitable
woods. My primary concern is weathering, the boat will be outside in
the pacific northwest all year, I plan on using teak oil for the
finish. I have seen Khaya, and Mahogony refernced for use in boat
building, but I do not know if that truelly crosses over to exterior
wood.

thanks
Jeff
Steve

Jeff W wrote:

I am going to be replacing and adding some extior wood to my
fiberglass sailboat and want to know if there are some other suitable
woods. My primary concern is weathering, the boat will be outside in
the pacific northwest all year, I plan on using teak oil for the
finish. I have seen Khaya, and Mahogony refernced for use in boat
building, but I do not know if that truelly crosses over to exterior
wood.

thanks
Jeff

I recommend (and use) Iroko. It ain't Burmese Teak but looks much nicer
than Mahogony. Costs about 1/3 that of teak.. The last I purchased was
$4.26 BF from Edensaw in Port Townsend WA.

The grain can sometimes be 'wild' making it difficult to plane and it
doesn't bend well since it is kiln dried. And it doesn't weather (turn
silver) like teak if left natural.

I don't recommend straight oil finish in the damp Pac. NW. The tong oil
will attract/feed mildew spores, down in any open grain. I have been
using Cetol for the past 3 years and it very forgiving and easy to 'spot
repair' neglected areas.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

FS: Teak Deck Panels in Florida, we ship in US J.T. Tuomela Marketplace 0 June 29th 04 11:50 PM
Teak Ruminations Wendy Cruising 0 February 4th 04 07:34 PM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM
Teak Wood Varnish Rob General 4 June 30th 03 08:03 PM