posted to rec.boats.building

Default transom seal

1978 Beachcraft 140 HP omc stern drive
How do you change the transom seal. I don't know where to start

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

"clark" wrote in message
1978 Beachcraft 140 HP omc stern drive
How do you change the transom seal. I don't know where to start

Might ask around rec.boats or search for the owners groups on google and
yahoo.

clark wrote:
1978 Beachcraft 140 HP omc stern drive
How do you change the transom seal. I don't know where to start

It was four or five years ago that I did an overhaul on a 120HP
evinrude outdrive.

I referred to stripping notes which weren't hard to come by, and found a
generic parts outfit for the concertina and various seals via google.
I took off the lower drive with the shift in the correct position,
then removed the upper unit - which was a struggle - easy to mar a
mating surface if the unit has not been pulled regularly.
The spline drive has two shaft seals. If you get this far, you will see
what other seals keep the water out.

Brian W
posted to rec.boats.building

First buy a manual here at Ken Cook.
http://www.outboardbooks.com/

I know it says outboard books but they have manuals for every marine
engine you can think of.

Pirateer guy wrote:
First buy a manual here at Ken Cook.
http://www.outboardbooks.com/

I know it says outboard books but they have manuals for every marine
engine you can think of.

Really ?

I can't find any reference to:

Yanmar
Westerbeke
Universal
Beta Marine
Atomic 4
Perkins
Pisces

to name just a few...

Brian C

posted to rec.boats.building

Yeah, I knew that comming, but I figured he never heard of any of
them.
I should have just said, read the book!
wrote:

Pirateer guy wrote:
First buy a manual here at Ken Cook.
http://www.outboardbooks.com/

I know it says outboard books but they have manuals for every marine
engine you can think of.

Really ?

I can't find any reference to:

Yanmar
Westerbeke
Universal
Beta Marine
Atomic 4
Perkins
Pisces

to name just a few...

Brian C

Seal Rescue 911... Tom Francis - SWSports General 1 February 7th 09 06:08 AM
One scared seal... Ellen MacArthur ASA 2 February 4th 07 10:10 PM
Needed: OMC square transom seal - 1966 version [email protected] General 2 July 12th 06 03:35 PM
PSS Shaft Seal KJEJ Harris Cruising 14 January 29th 05 04:27 AM
help! seal my windows. Stephen Scheiding Boat Building 2 September 24th 04 04:35 PM